Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IPTV over router issue

bremenpl
Tutor

IPTV over router issue

I have an issue with the IPTV box connected in my system. Ideally, the ISP provided setup should look like this:

bremenpl_0-1701857236001.png

How I have it connected:

bremenpl_1-1701857541662.png

Right now my gateway and the access points are the Netgear Orbi RBK853 (1 main router + 2 satelites). It takes quite a while (in physical cables terms) for the ethernet connection to reach the IPTV box, since starting from the Orbi gateway there is a satelite (access point) and a switch (not drawn here). So the easiest solution, to connect the IPTV directly to the ISP provided modem is not possible for me.

How to configure the gateway (if even possible), to somehow forward the packets from the ISP provided modem directly to the IPTV box without the NAT network created by the gateway, so the IPTV box gets assigned with an IP from the 192.168.1.x range (by the ISP provided modem), instead of 192.168.7.x (Orbi gateway). The ISP provided modem has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and provides DHCP range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100. The Orbi router has its IP set to 192.168.7.1 and works in DHCP range of 192.168.7.2 - 192.168.7.200. I think for the IPTV its not really about the exact range, but rather being connected directly to the modem.

PS: I have replaced the Wifi Mesh setup I had before with Orbi just now. Physically it was connected the same way and this worked- when I logged to the gateway interface I haven't seen the IPTV box- I have seen it via the ISP provided modem interface, so it was somehow forwarded.

I tried exercising VLAN approach, but if understood correctly, I would need to sacrifice one of the physical LAN ports of my gateway for that. Since at the given lan port more devices than just the IPTX box are connected, I could not go this way. I need more of a specific mac address oriented approach.

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: IPTV over router issue

Please contact Negear support for installation and configuration support. This is outside of my comfort zone.

My concerns are the probably workable IGMP proxy (IGMP level unknown), the dual-NAT situation with two NAT routers in the data path - not convinced about the IGMP snooping and multicast support. However, things might have changed since introducing the v7 bringing a major change to the RBR850/RBS850. Looks like I have to find some second-hand device in the market here, since I'm not Netgear 8-)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 25

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not aware any Orbi system does support IGMP Multicast and IGMP Snooping, neither on the router alone, nor over the wireless (or wired) backhaul to an Orbi satellite. While the Orbi Pro does support VLANs, there is no IGMP support to my knowledge either.

Said this: It's extremely difficult to substitute an ISP supplied router which does seamless integrate the ISP Internet connection and the IPTV VLANs. The only option is to design and implement a multi-VLAN switch infrastructure handling the Internet (and it's LAN) and extend the IPTV VLAN accordingly. 

What ISP and IPTV provider you have in mind here? 

Message 2 of 25
bremenpl
Tutor

Hi and thank you for the answer,

My ISP provider is Orange (Poland).

The thing is, I previously had a router + access points setup (Wifi 5 mesh) and it worked out of the box (3rd party devices, Icotera). I did not need to confgure anything there, while the physical connectons were the same (1:1 replacement with Orbi devices now, same number of satelites). When logged in to the Orange ISP modem interface, I could see the IPTV device there, instead of the Gateway DHCP pool.

Message 3 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Icotera is a typical vendor offering more or less custom CPE (router, mesh, ...) for a specific ISP - not to compare with the generic consumer products in the free market - very likely you can use this Mesh system with the Orange Poland offering only.

Message 4 of 25
bremenpl
Tutor

The devices I had were dedicated for Dannish market. I think the functionality there, that allowed for this setup to work, must have been generic. So if I understood correctly, its the IGMP support that is missing in the Orbi system? If yes, do you see any workaround here? I see something related here:

bremenpl_0-1701863929858.png

Message 5 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Please contact Negear support for installation and configuration support. This is outside of my comfort zone.

My concerns are the probably workable IGMP proxy (IGMP level unknown), the dual-NAT situation with two NAT routers in the data path - not convinced about the IGMP snooping and multicast support. However, things might have changed since introducing the v7 bringing a major change to the RBR850/RBS850. Looks like I have to find some second-hand device in the market here, since I'm not Netgear 8-)

Message 6 of 25
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @bremenpl ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues with your IPTV using your Orbi Mesh system. 

Have you tried to change the Orbi router to AP mode and configure your system through your ISP modem?

Best,

Kevin 

Community

Message 7 of 25
bremenpl
Tutor

Hi Kevin amd thank you for the answer. I havent tried that- would the wifi mesh (and the satistes) still operate as intended? This would be a sort of last resort, since then I would need tonhandle everything via the isp modem rather than Orbi.
Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru
bremenpl
Tutor

Thanks,
And how about link aggregation? I was planning to connect an LTE modem to the LAN1 configured in LACP- would that still work when the router is in AP mode?
Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe LAG is only supported in router mode.

Message 11 of 25
bremenpl
Tutor

Understood, thank you...
Message 12 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 25
Loek
Aspirant

Hey,

Did you manage to get it working using AP mode?

I have a similar IPTV issue regarding multicast and orbi's.

I believe it's due to Orbi not supporting IGMP Snooping, nor are they planning this feature afaik.

So I currently just switched my tv to unicast.

Message 14 of 25
bremenpl
Tutor

Hi, I did not manage to figure out anything here. What I did is I rebuilt my physical ethernet connections a bit and connected my IPTV box directly to the modem... I figured it was least effort.

Message 15 of 25
Loek
Aspirant

Check, thanks for your reply, let's hope they will support IGMP Snooping at some point in the future.

Message 16 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Orib home systems only support the following fuction for IGMP:

"Disable IGMP Proxying

The IGMP Proxying function lets a LAN PC to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the Internet. You can click this check box to disable the function if you do not need it."

Found on the RBRs WAN Setup page.

Message 17 of 25
schumaku
Guru

According to the find documentation, this is not limited to the consumer Orbi - also the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 seem to support this - here the SXR80:

SXR80 IGMP Proxying.PNG

Interestingly, there was just another post added from Norway:

Orbi SXR80 and IPTV from ISP Telenor 

Maximum confusion for me now, as there is no NAT configuration similar to the older Nighthawk routers, allowing to configure a dedicated IPTV LAN there. Definitively need Netgear assistance here please  8-/

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Those settings don't apply to Orbi Home systems. Maybe early says, however there are not UI settings on Orbi homes systems for those. 

Message 19 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Already added pointers to two Netgear reps for the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 system at least.

Message 20 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Those settings don't apply to Orbi Home systems. Maybe early says, however there are not UI settings on Orbi homes systems for those. 

Hmmmmm at lest the RBK50 does list BT IGMP proxy support 8-)))

RBK50 BT IGMP proxy support.PNG

Definitively lost at this point now ... IGMP Proxying on the router and at the same time no IGMP Snooping on the Orbi wired and wireless backhaul, and the satellites?!?

Message 21 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Briefly browsing the community does bring up this where a moderator talked of "router only" ... just strange.

Less specific, but still RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 1.5.0.12 from February 2017 (!!) does talk of

New Features and Enhancements:

Supports VLAN and bridging on the Orbi router.
Supports IGMP proxy

...and on manually updating the Orbi 50 satellites. Understand every customer who is frustrated....

Message 22 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orib home systems only support the following fuction for IGMP:

"Disable IGMP Proxying

The IGMP Proxying function lets a LAN PC to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the Internet. You can click this check box to disable the function if you do not need it."

Found on the RBRs WAN Setup page.

On anything newer but the RBR50? Just asking for a friend....

Message 23 of 25
Loek
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes, correct! I've this set-up correctly, however in order for everything to work correctly in my setup I also need IGMP Snooping. Proxy isn't enough unfortunately. I do get a multicast signal, but it's very stuttery. (1gbps connection). I believe snooping helps reduce the load.

I have the rb850 series.

Message 24 of 25
schumaku
Guru

look, al we have to help are the fine documentations from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr850#docs

All I can find is the "Set up a bridge for a port group or VLAN tag group" chapters, starting from p.88 ff. on the Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System User Manual (RBK85x) 

What I'm reading (written or unwritten I'm afraid) is that this is applicable to the router component of your RBK85x, e.g. the RBR850 only. Convinced, the RBR850 UI does provide similar controls to my old R9000:

IPTV Bridge Group.PNGVLAN Tag Group.PNGVLAN Tag Group - Edit.PNG

Said this: In either way, all you can do is assign one (or multiple) LAN ports of the router, where you could connect the IPTV Settop box. And No: This IPTV VLAN can not leave the router e.g. over the wired or wireless backhaul - the Orbi Whole Home system is limited in this aspect, the IPTV network is not tightly integrated in the similar way ISP provided routers do, where user can add either direct connected IPTV Settop boxe(s), or add a switch (configured to support IGMP Multicast). 

@ThomasNorway - that's why I've asked ref. your Orbi Pro SXR80. Are there no similar controls on your router? The SRS router would bring the VLAN support for the LAN 8-/

I wish Netgear would take more attention on such "basics", making the Orbi systems more useful and easier to integrate. That's all for now folks. 

@BruceGuo 

@JohnC_V 

@hnagaraju 

@DavidGo 

@DaneA 

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements