Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the RBS50Y compatable with the RBR850?

diogi62
Aspirant

Is the RBS50Y compatable with the RBR850?

I'm looking for an outdoor solution for my RBR850 router with three RBS850's already attached to it. Support told me that the RBS50Y Extender would work with my setup, although I'm seeing mixed information on the two working together. With all of the being said, the Orbi compatibility chart says the RBR850 and the RBS50Y Extender are compatible. Then I'm seeing a RBS50Yv2, yet no where to purchase it and not sure if its compatible?

Orbi Compatibility Chart.JPG

TIA.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is the RBS50Y compatable with the RBR850?

@diogi62 wrote:

Support told me that the RBS50Y Extender would work with my setup, although I'm seeing mixed information on the two working together.

The original RBS50Y worked only with the Orbi RBR50 and RBR40 routers.  The RBS50Yv2 has two firmware modes, satellite and WiFi extender.  In extender mode, the RBS50Y2 is compatible with any WiFi router on the market, from any vendor.  This is because WiFi Extenders do not become part of the "mesh" system.  It may have the same WiFi SSID/password (identical - exactly) as the Orbi system, but devices will not roam seamlessly between the two systems.  Often, this is not a problem because devices connected to a WiFi extender are not mobile (cannot "roam").

RBS50Yv2 can be found on eBay.

What support neglected to mention is that any WiFi Extender, from any company is compatible with the RBR850.  Amazon shows at least three brands of WiFi Extender which are "weatherproof" at under $100US.  (Amazon is also really terrible about ignoring search terms, like "weatherproof" and includes all sorts of items in the results that are totally NOT weatherproof.  If the picture shows it plugged into a wall outlet - (duh))

A key consideration is how to weatherproof the electrical power supply.  Even if the "unit" itself is weatherproof, it has to get power somewhere.  Netgear's own RBS50Yv2 has an ordinary wall plug on the end of the cord.  Making THAT safe it totally the customer's responsibility.

As an aside, some customers who really want their "mesh" extended outside, choose to put an ordinary satellite inside a weatherproof enclosure.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if Extender mode FW is loaded on the RBSY. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@diogi62 wrote:

Support told me that the RBS50Y Extender would work with my setup, although I'm seeing mixed information on the two working together.

The original RBS50Y worked only with the Orbi RBR50 and RBR40 routers.  The RBS50Yv2 has two firmware modes, satellite and WiFi extender.  In extender mode, the RBS50Y2 is compatible with any WiFi router on the market, from any vendor.  This is because WiFi Extenders do not become part of the "mesh" system.  It may have the same WiFi SSID/password (identical - exactly) as the Orbi system, but devices will not roam seamlessly between the two systems.  Often, this is not a problem because devices connected to a WiFi extender are not mobile (cannot "roam").

RBS50Yv2 can be found on eBay.

What support neglected to mention is that any WiFi Extender, from any company is compatible with the RBR850.  Amazon shows at least three brands of WiFi Extender which are "weatherproof" at under $100US.  (Amazon is also really terrible about ignoring search terms, like "weatherproof" and includes all sorts of items in the results that are totally NOT weatherproof.  If the picture shows it plugged into a wall outlet - (duh))

A key consideration is how to weatherproof the electrical power supply.  Even if the "unit" itself is weatherproof, it has to get power somewhere.  Netgear's own RBS50Yv2 has an ordinary wall plug on the end of the cord.  Making THAT safe it totally the customer's responsibility.

As an aside, some customers who really want their "mesh" extended outside, choose to put an ordinary satellite inside a weatherproof enclosure.

Message 3 of 4
diogi62
Aspirant

That was our second plan and the plan we will move forward with.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7