Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netflix showing as VPN using Orbi RBR750

Jakehoward80
Aspirant

Netflix showing as VPN using Orbi RBR750

I have had my Orbi setup for approximately six months and all has been working well. A few days ago I started to have an issue using Netflix with all of my devices. The issue is Netflix believes my devices are behind a VPN and none of them are. If I connect any of the devices to another network, Netflix does not have the issue. I reconnected my previous ASUS router as a test and Netflix works perfectly. I have tried factory resetting the Orbi and still have the same issue. I spoke with Netflix and they have confirmed that my symptoms are due to being behind a firewall. Prior to a few days ago everything was working perfectly including Netflix. I don't believe the issue is with my ISP as everything works correctly with my old router. Netflix is the only service I seem to have an issue with.

I have also tried changing various settings in the Orbi but nothing seems to resolve the issue. I also verified that Armor is not turned on. Could this be the result of a recent firmware upgrade or does anyone have any ideas what I can try to resolve the issue? All of my hardware and firmware are listed below. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Internet Type - Suddenlink Cable

Modem - Motorola Surfboard SB6141

Router Model - Orbi RBR750 with 2 satellites

Firmware Version - V4.6.7.13_2.1.9 (shows up-to-date)

Device - Android Phone/iPhone/nVidia Shield/Amazon FireTV

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Jakehoward80
Aspirant

Re: Netflix showing as VPN using Orbi RBR750

I believe my problem has been resolved. This morning I manually upgraded my Orbi to the newest firmware Version 4.6.8.2 and everything seems to be working perfectly, including Netflix. I still cannot explain why the previous firmware version caused the issue but am glad the problem was resolved. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

If the problem started about March 24 of this year, that is when Netgear released this latest firmware version for the RBR750. (see release notes: https://kb.netgear.com/000064731/RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-7-13 

I would be tempted to manually install the previous firmware version, V4.6.5.14 and see if that fixes the problem.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr750.aspx#download 

If the Netflix issue is fixed with the older firmware, then the next step would be to prevent Netgear from updating the firmware, which might happen within hours. (minutes?) So, you would have to test quickly.

If the Netflix issue is not fixed with the older firmware.... oh, s**t.

Message 2 of 10
Jakehoward80
Aspirant

I will attempt the downgrade tonight and report back. Thank you for the quick response.
Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I am sort of conflicted about this issue.

• On the one hand, if the previous firmware makes the Netflix problem go away, then you have a solution once Netgear is prevented from updating the firmware.  And, of course, you lose out on the benefits that came with the newer firmware release.
  • On the other hand.... (*&^$%^&*) This is ridiculous. I will not be happy to see "proof" that a firmware release is responsible for this.
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would not recommend downgrading FW to check this. 

v.13 FW should work just fine. 

I would have power cycled the ISP modem and RBR OFF for 1 minute then back ON. 

Check for Armor or Smart Parental controls being enabled. 
Factory reset and setup from scratch before downgrading. 

Message 5 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

Do you have IPV6 enabled?  Per https://help.netflix.com/en/node/277:

If you have an IPv6 connection:

• Netflix will work with standard IPv6 connections.

• Netflix doesn't work with connections that tunnel IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 network.

What Orbi settings have you changed from its factory defaults?  Others have not reported this same Netflix VPN issue with this firmware version so it may be something specific to your configuration.

Message 6 of 10
Jakehoward80
Aspirant

I downgraded the firmware to V4.6.5.14 and the issue with Netflix was resolved. As a test I again upgraded to the current firmware V4.6.7.13, factory reset the router and the issue returned. I am currently running the downgraded firmware and everything is working perfiectly. I compared all the setting while running both versions of the firmware and the settings are identical. It is strange but the downgrade seems to have resolved my issue. I tried to report this issue to Netgear Support but my subscription has ended and I was unable to report it. I will look for an email address or phone number to follow up with them.

I do not have an IPv6 connection. I tried changing just about every setting available in the router before the downgrade and nothing worked. I don't believe it is a setting as I have had the Orbi setup and working flawlessly for about 10 months. It wasn't until recently that the issue with Netflix began. 

I will run the firmware V4.6.5.14 until the next release. Hopefully a future release will resolve the issue I am having. I appreciate all the suggestions which helped me to resolve the issue, at least temporarily. Hopefully this thread will help someone else if they have the same issue.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you contact NG support and let them know about this. They don't hang out in these forums so may not find out or know about this. Something to include this forum thread.

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 8 of 10
Jakehoward80
Aspirant

I believe my problem has been resolved. This morning I manually upgraded my Orbi to the newest firmware Version 4.6.8.2 and everything seems to be working perfectly, including Netflix. I still cannot explain why the previous firmware version caused the issue but am glad the problem was resolved. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7