Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBK753S (Power over Ethernet?)

orbiUser72
Follower

Netgear Orbi RBK753S (Power over Ethernet?)

Hi, I am looking to put wifi in a very long building - 650 ft long or 200m (call it building B). However, the modem is in another building (call it building A). We are looking to put a couple set of orbis in the attic of buidling B so that we can get really good coverage throughout the building. The problem is we don't have a power supply in the attic of building B. Due to constraints, we'd have to put the orbis in the attic of building B.

I am getting a good deal to purchase three Netgear Orbi Model RBK753S (1 router with two satellites).

I was thinking of putting a PoE (power over ethernet) injector in building A, connect it to a PoE switch (using an ethernet cable) at the starting end of building B. Then connect the first orbi system to a PoE switch. As needed, add more orbi systems to the PoE (power over ethernet) switch.

My questions are:

1) Can I power the Netgear Orbi RBK753S system (router and the two satellites) using power over Ethernet?

2) If yes to Ques 1), can I connect the satellites to the router directly using ethernet to power the satellites using PoE? Or would I have to connect the satellites to PoE switch?

3) If no to Ques 1), is there other Orbi models that can be powered over ethernet?

4) Alternatively, how would we be able to get good wifi coverage in building B (other ideas)?

Sorry for the long post. Thank you guys for reading the post and would love your suggestions/input.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK753S (Power over Ethernet?)

@orbiUser72 wrote:

My questions are:

1) Can I power the Netgear Orbi RBK753S system (router and the two satellites) using power over Ethernet?

No. Orbi units require electrical power, and come with power adapters specific to the country (120v, 60Hz in North America, 230v, 50 Hz in other countries with plug specific to the country).

There are WiFi systems with access points powered over ethernet.  (Ubiquiti comes to mind)

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK753S (Power over Ethernet?)

p.s. It would be remiss of me not to point out that 650ft far exceeds the typical ethernet gigabit length limit of 90meters.

I have a suspicion that using the first PoE injector to power a sequence of PoE switches and devices is not likely to succeed.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7