Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No ipv6 firewall options?

telnetdoogie
Tutor

No ipv6 firewall options?

I decided instead of using my Orbi as an AP mode which I've been doing until now, I'd see about using it as a true router, so I switched my ISP's router into bridge mode, the upside being that I can get full speed (I have a 1.5Gbps internet connection) to the Orbi and wireless clients using the 2.5Gbps WAN port into the RBR. So far so good.

...When enabling ipv6 on the Orbi, though, it seems as though there are no options for an ipv6 firewall. Devices on the local network are wide open from the internet and there's no option to block ports (or rather, only selectively open certain ports) from the WAN to ipv6 devices / addresses inside the network. As I dug around a little I realized that there's really no firewall config for this router at all, short of some port forwarding options. It'd be super nice to just do something like selective port opening for everything on the LAN - even if that's just a blanket "allow / deny" by port to ALL devices behind the router.

Is there any plan to enable even a basic level of ipv6 firewall / SPI on these devices?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: No ipv6 firewall options?

Though IPv6 should have some form of firewall, I believe it differs from IPv4 and ports. 

However someting to post this about here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

I would pose this question to a forum moderator or NG support as well. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 2 of 3
Mstrbig
Master

Re: No ipv6 firewall options?

@telnetdoogie wrote:

Is there any plan to enable even a basic level of ipv6 firewall / SPI on these devices?

Everyone has a different way to create firewalls and virus protection.

In every residential or small office environment we setup, we configure each PC and laptop's firewall protection separately, and disable all protection on the router. One reason being, most all resdential type routers are not updated as frequently as OS and 3rd party virus and firewall protection programs. Of course larger office environments would differ. We would use Cisco (our choice) and other firewall protection.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7