Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK863 AX6000 Tri-Band slow

SchalkPetro
Aspirant

Orbi RBK863 AX6000 Tri-Band slow

Hi everybody,

I'm a new Netgear user, and brand new to this community.

Currently, I'm an unhappy Orbi owner because the WiFi provided by my Orbi RBK AX6000 is SLOWER than what I had before using a ±10-year-old Google mesh system.

I expected that spending $2000 on the "latest technology" would be an upgrade of my older Google technology. But so far, it seems to be a massively expensive DOWNgrade!

I didn't notice it in day to da use of my phone or laptop.

But when we watched Netflix on Friday & Saturday nights, it was immediately obvious. The Netfilx pages take longer to load, moving between different movies takes longer, and movies take a LOT longer to load. Also, when I pause a movie and press play again, it takes a lot longer to re-start.

The Orbi satellite stands in exactly the same spot where I previously had the Google satellite unit.

Nothing else has changed. The layout of furniture in the home is still the same. The Orbi network passes through exactly the same walls the Google network had to.

The ONLY difference is replacing the Google mesh system with the Orbi system. Oh, and the Orbi has two satellites, while the Google only had one.

I *could* throw the Orbi in a box, put it away, and set up the Google mesh system again. But I'm understandably not keen on doing that after I paid $2000 for it!

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK853 AX6000 Tri-Band slow

Yes, this is not what one would expect.  Just curious: where does an RBK853 package cost $2,000?  (In the US, Amazon sells the package for $895.  The Netgear web store is $899.99)

If the Google system is still available, it would be a good experiment to "swap" the systems and verify that Netflix continues to behave differently with the Netgear system than with the Google.

Message 2 of 6
SchalkPetro
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK863 AX6000 Tri-Band slow

Hi CrimpOn,

It's in New Zealand, so the price is in NZ$.

But I also had the heading wrong -- I went to the store to purchase a RBK853 but ended up buying the 863.

Thanks for the tip.

However, it was such a pain getting the Orbi set up -- it took me well over 4 hours, with 4 failures, before I finally had it connected to my network and working properly.

So, I'll have to wait until next weekend when I have enough time to struggle through the process again.

Everything about the Orbi so far has been painful.

Kind regards

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

(Duh.  There are "dollars" all around the globe.  "My Bad")

@SchalkPetro wrote:

However, it was such a pain getting the Orbi set up -- it took me well over 4 hours, with 4 failures, before I finally had it connected to my network and working properly.

Wondering how this Orbi system was configured. (My only experience is with Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that use DHCP, so the Orbi will function without any configuration at all.  Plug it in, and "it works".  Of course, the WiFi SSID/password are what is printed on the product label, and most customers prefer to change it to exactly what the previous WiFi system was. (I have done this for over 15 years).  That way, all existing devices connect automatically and do not need to be reconfigured.  (And, the "bonus" is that going back is a simple matter of swapping the equipment.)

.Was this Orbi system configured using

• The Orbi 'app' ('cool', 'modern', but not offering access to any 'advanced' functions), or
  • The Orbi web interface with a computer connected to the router.?

Message 4 of 6
SchalkPetro
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,
I configured the Orbi the way the Netgear setup steps suggested -- using the Orbi App.

And today, when I wanted to login to the web interface, the login page didn't accept my credentials. It didn't show ANY errors - the login page simply re-loaded with empty input fields! And after the third unsuccessful try, it said the Orbi is now disabled!

Which is (fortunately!) not entirely true, because it still worked... a good thing, because it was a workday and we were working from home!

Note: I had set up a new username & password, and saved them in my password manager, so there's no way I could have forgotten it!

But now I struggle with the decision of whether to reset it to factory settings (AARRGGHH!!!) or hope that the password reset -- which didn't work when I tried it -- finally works.

I've had ONLY pain from this Netgear system.

Perhaps I will "steal" your slogan and butcher it to "I hate my Orbi"

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@SchalkPetro wrote:

And today, when I wanted to login to the web interface, the login page didn't accept my credentials. It didn't show ANY errors - the login page simply re-loaded with empty input fields! And after the third unsuccessful try, it said the Orbi is now disabled!

As you discovered, having the web password rejected three times in a row causes a "401" error and the Password Recovery screen comes up which asks for the product serial number (from the label on the bottom) and correct answers to a couple of security questions that were supposed to have been defined during the original setup.  The router itself continues to function.  It is only the web admin that is not accessible.

@SchalkPetro wrote:

Note: I had set up a new username & password, and saved them in my password manager, so there's no way I could have forgotten it!

This may be part of the problem.  Orbi systems feature three sets of credentials:

• The WiFi credentials, which are set at the factory to an SSID of the letters "O-R-B-I" plus a two digit number and a password consisting of two random words plus some digits, such as "harrygoblin123".  Most users elect to change these credentials to something more personal.  My practice is to give each new WiFi system exactly the same WiFi credentials as the system that is being replaced.  This avoids having to reconfigure my WiFi devices and also means that I can "go back" to the previous system any time I want.
  • The web administration credentials, which come from the factory as "admin" (and cannot be changed) and "password", which the setup process badgers customers into changing into something more secure.  "admin" and this secret password are required to use the web administration.
  • The credentials for my.netgear.com which are used to register products, ask for support, and access this community forum.   "new username & password" would seem to imply that you are attempting to use these credentials rather than "admin" and the  secret password.

If those Password Reset questions were not actually set up (and I personally configured an Orbi without doing that correctly, so I know it can be done), then there is only one method to gain access to the web admin: the dreaded Factory Reset.  I hate doing this because it takes me over two hours to enter the reserved IPs for all 60 devices, set  up DDNS, OpenVPN, emailing log files, etc. etc.  The Orbi app does not allow any of that configuration to be done, so maybe a Factory Reset will be relatively painless in your case.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7