Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi960 Wired Backhaul link Speed capped at 100 Mbps

sujay265
Tutor

Orbi960 Wired Backhaul link Speed capped at 100 Mbps

Hi 

I have set up my new Orbi 960 wifi mesh for 2 week now. I have connected the Router and Satellite via. CAT6 cable (Wired Backhaul). I noticed the link speed (LAN 2) between the Router and Satellite is capped to 100 mbps.

This is very strange, not able to get this right. Please someone advise.speedspeed

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
bullm00n
Luminary

Re: Orbi960 Wired Backhaul link Speed capped at 100 Mbps

I agree, bad wiring will cause the connection speed to drop to 100 (or nothing if it is really bad).  But, that said, why you see a 500Mbps connection through a device claiming 100Mbps max is surprising, right?

Here's a super easy test for you to eliminate the cabling variable: 

Take your satellite and place it 3-6 feet from the RBR and connect it with a short CAT5e or CAT6 patch cable and check the reported link speed.  If you get the 2500 or 1000 that you should be able to, then you know the wiring is faulty.  If you do not, then the problem is something else - perhaps a port on one of the devices or the software reporting an incorrect link speed (which I have not seen happen on my system).

Alternatively, if you have two Sats (I don't know what you have on the other port that is hitting 2500), swap them and see if the problem follows the Sat or the cable.

Do whichever is easier and let us know what happens.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Cabling issues, pairs incomplete or crossed pairs, RJ45 connector crimping issues.
Message 2 of 9
sujay265
Tutor

Hi 

Thanks for your support. I now checked both the ends of the cable physically and used a Network cable tester device. All the lights lit up proving good connection.

From the above exercise. I can confirm  CAT6 cable connection and integrity is good.

Furthermore my Orbi Web interface says "Backhaul Connection Status : Good"Orbi960 Backhaul Status.jpg

Am I missing something.

Maybe this additional info will be of help.

My Orbi RBRE960 (Router) is connected to ISP modem and my Internet speed is 500 Mbps. 

When I pull an internet speed test from a device (iPhone 14 pro Max) attached to RBSE960 (Satellite) I get speeds of 506 Mbps. This does not justify the backhaul link speed of 100 Mbps shown in statistics window.
Can someone help me understand what’s going on here?

Screenshot 2023-06-24 152311.jpg

Speed Test from iphone 14 promax attached to orbi satellite.jpg

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What speed do you see on the RBRs status page if you connect the back of the RBS using it's 2.5Gb Lan port to the back of the RBR on it's 2.5Gb LAN port? Just a quick test is all thats needed. Please post the screen capture. 

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

As I already explained ... with Ethernet ports doing auto negotiation (this is what we're having on many of these devices) .. in the case the four pairs are not complete or poorly wired, and the ports find just two correct working pairs, a Fast Ethernet link (100 Mb/s) is all what can be established. This can indicate a cabling issue, bad contactors on the RJ45 connection, or a broken hardware on either end. 

Message 5 of 9
bullm00n
Luminary

I agree, bad wiring will cause the connection speed to drop to 100 (or nothing if it is really bad).  But, that said, why you see a 500Mbps connection through a device claiming 100Mbps max is surprising, right?

Here's a super easy test for you to eliminate the cabling variable: 

Take your satellite and place it 3-6 feet from the RBR and connect it with a short CAT5e or CAT6 patch cable and check the reported link speed.  If you get the 2500 or 1000 that you should be able to, then you know the wiring is faulty.  If you do not, then the problem is something else - perhaps a port on one of the devices or the software reporting an incorrect link speed (which I have not seen happen on my system).

Alternatively, if you have two Sats (I don't know what you have on the other port that is hitting 2500), swap them and see if the problem follows the Sat or the cable.

Do whichever is easier and let us know what happens.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So this was marked as solved. 

What was the resolution here>? 

@sujay265 wrote:

Hi 

I have set up my new Orbi 960 wifi mesh for 2 week now. I have connected the Router and Satellite via. CAT6 cable (Wired Backhaul). I noticed the link speed (LAN 2) between the Router and Satellite is capped to 100 mbps.

This is very strange, not able to get this right. Please someone advise.speedspeed

Message 7 of 9
sujay265
Tutor

Thank you guys for your expert advise.

I found that the fault was in the CAT6 cable at the satellite side. Fixed the cable and solved the issue.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7