Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK753 setup issues

td3201
Aspirant

RBK753 setup issues

Hello,

I am setting up the RBK753 for a friend. In my house, I have another Orbi system so my app is set up already for that one. I logged out and set up the new account and system. I got as far as to change the default network SSID. I can't remember now what my issue was but the app was all sorts of confused and was causing me setup issues. I decided to blow away the app and factory reset the new Orbi (hit reset button until it was blinking amber). Got the app installed again and things going great but noticed that the new Orbi still shows the new SSID name I gave it, not the default after a factory reset which makes me think something isn't quite right here. When I try to connect to that SSID with the correct password, it just spins on connecting with my iphone. I should also note that the Internet port of the new Orbi is connected to the LAN port of my Orbi in my network just to give it Internet access. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK753 setup issues

Try setting up your friends system with a ethernet connected PC connected to the back of the RBR.

Message 2 of 11
td3201
Aspirant

I also tried that, sorry for leaving that out. It gave my PC an IP of 10.0.0.2 and a default gateway of 10.0.0.1. I couldn't connect to 10.0.0.1 on http or https. Anything I'm missing there?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Factory reset the RBR with the RBR disconnected from the ISP modem/ONT. You can setup the RBR manually with out it being connected to the ISP service. 

Message 4 of 11
td3201
Aspirant

Just confirming that the factory reset procedure is to hold reset button until it blinks amber, correct? Should I expect it to blow away the custom SSID I set it to?

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the WiFi SSID/password should return to what is printed on the product label.  If the custom SSID is still being broadcast, then the Factory Reset did not work correctly.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

15 second press is all. You may see AMBER on the LED. Thats Ok. 

You can use the ERASE button on the RBRs web page if that's accessible. 

Yes, all should be wiped out and back to factory defaults. 

Message 7 of 11
td3201
Aspirant

It absolutely does not reset back to factory defaults. It still broadcasts the SSID that I set it to. Also, when I connect via LAN, I now get a 192.168.1.2 address and 192.168.1.1 default gateway. The router is not listening on 80 or 443 (telnet test). Any other ideas?

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Something that has worked for some people is what is called the "30-30-30" reset:

• Press the reset button for 30 seconds.  (I find it annoying that it is not really a "button". The switch is actually inside the case and that tiny "reset" hole is supposed to line up exactly with it. I find it hard to "feel" when I have actually pushed the button.  Keep hoping to feel a "click" or something.)
  • While still holding the reset, turn the power off and wait for 30 seconds.
  • While still holding the reset, turn the power back on and wait for 30 seconds.

Since the 750 does not have a power button, that means holding the reset while the power cord is pulled out and then inserted again.  Quite a juggling act.

Message 9 of 11
td3201
Aspirant

I just tried this procedure. Same behavior. Old SSID is still broadcasting and 80/443 are not listening on the LAN side of things. 

Message 10 of 11
tucsontico
Virtuoso

If you can access the RBR via ethernet and the online GUI, try reloading the most recent firmware version and then do a factory reset. Good Luck!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7