Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 - Slow download speeds with NZB's - QoS issue?

KBDMB1
Aspirant

RBK852 - Slow download speeds with NZB's - QoS issue?

Hi There,

I have been loving our Orbi RBK852 setup at home, great coverage and ease of use but I have been noticing some slow download speeds when using NZB files to download various types of files. I don't see this issue when using for example other means of filed download or direct download in the browser. 

When doing a speed test, It always reaches the max speeds for download and upload(d:600Mbps u:40Mbps), both wired and through WIFI. But when using my desktop, wired connection and NZBget to download items, the speed hang at around 25MB/s and stay there.

To me it looks like the Orbi systems is throttling the desktop speeds in favor of other devices, perhaps not recognizing the type of connection/download. However when using some other download client on the same desktop and same devices in the network, the tor-rent client is able to reach speeds of 60+MB/s.

I have tested different NZB files and tried messing around with some settings in NZBget and Netgear admin page. Nothing really changed anything, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Model: RBR850 and RBS850

Firmware: v4.6.3.16

Sqft: 1500

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
KBDMB1
Aspirant

Re: RBK852 - Slow download speeds with NZB's - QoS issue?

Just wanted to add the resolution to this topic, it seems that the slow download speeds were on my end. I recently switched to windows 11 and it did not cross my mind, so after doing some research and some tests, I reinstalled the lan drivers on my desktop and all of an sudden, the speeds were capped.

Thanks for the help and hints.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

My guess is that the Orbi router is not aware of, nor has a mechanism to control NZB downloads.

Much more likely that the combination of NZB downloader and UseNet provider are "doing the best they can."

https://www.cogipas.com/nzb-downloader/ 

https://www.cogipas.com/best-usenet-provider/ 

If there is a way to increase NZB download speed, my guess is that it will be found in UseNet forums rather  than here.

Message 2 of 8
KBDMB1
Aspirant

The thing is that using the same usenet providers and nzb downloader with my pervious router caused no issues. I could easily reach almost the max speeds. I have of course also tried different  providers and downloaders in combination with the Orbi and all have throttled speeds. To me, like you mentioned, it sounds like the Orbi is not detecting the high traffic created from the nzb downloaders as priority. So not sure how NZB or UseNet forums could help here.

Any other suggestions I could look at? I will in the mean time also stroll the NZB/UseNet forums.

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 8
KBDMB1
Aspirant

I updated the satellite and the router to the newest firmware versions but that didn't help, it even hurt its performance. The download speeds are even slower and the desktop is not able to hold the slowed down speeds for a long time. It ramps up to 25MB/s and drops to zero and repeat.

Tried restarting everything and played with some settings but nothing changed. This seems like the Orbi has trouble distributing  the work/power correctly to each of the connected devices. I couldn't find anyway to prioritize a certain device, is that somehow possible?

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@KBDMB1 wrote:

I couldn't find anyway to prioritize a certain device, is that somehow possible?

Not on the Orbi products. No.  Being able to actively manage QoS is often a feature of "gaming routers".

Message 6 of 8
KBDMB1
Aspirant

Just wanted to add the resolution to this topic, it seems that the slow download speeds were on my end. I recently switched to windows 11 and it did not cross my mind, so after doing some research and some tests, I reinstalled the lan drivers on my desktop and all of an sudden, the speeds were capped.

Thanks for the help and hints.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7