Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 Download speeds faster than 10MB/s cause Purple light

jovialone
Aspirant

RBR750 Download speeds faster than 10MB/s cause Purple light

I have an RBR750 and two RBS750.

Has anyone run into download speeds over 10MB/s causing the internet connection to die and the router throwing the purple light? This used to happen to me with Adobe Creative Cloud downloads and I assumed it was from that launcher iteself. The issue just happened again downloading a game with the Battle.net launcher. My computer is connected to the router via cat5e through an unmanaged switch. I verified the issue after restarting the router and removing the switch from the chain and experienced the same issue. Once I rate limited the launcher to 8.3MB/s the problem stopped. I have a gigabit connection to my ISP.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Download speeds faster than 10MB/s cause Purple light

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the brand and model of the switch?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Message 2 of 10
jovialone
Aspirant

Current version of firmware is 4.6.911_2.3.5 and I am currently upgrading to 4.6.14.3

The switch is the GS105 (https://www.netgear.com/business/wired/switches/unmanaged/gs105/)

I purchased my modem seperately from the ISP and it is a Netgear CM1000. 

I never had and verified that the listed features are not enabled.

The cable is one I assembled myself from a bulk spool and will pickup some Cat6 next time I go out.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 10
jovialone
Aspirant

Ok. My replies have disappeared four times now. I give up. The log has no entries on the day the orbi went down. In either direction +-2 it just shows a CM-Status message sent and a DHCP renew warning from 6/28/23.

The cable connection shows good. I can try to screenshot that page if it would help. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Copy and past the data from the modem into a word doc the export to PDF then post?

@jovialone wrote:

Ok. My replies have disappeared four times now. I give up. The log has no entries on the day the orbi went down. In either direction +-2 it just shows a CM-Status message sent and a DHCP renew warning from 6/28/23.

The cable connection shows good. I can try to screenshot that page if it would help. 

Message 6 of 10
jovialone
Aspirant

Ooof. I should have thought of that. Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Power levels are all over the place. Channel power should all be with in 3db of each other.

Any Criticals, Errors or Warnings seen in the event logs needs to be reviewed and resolved by the ISP. Indicates a signal issue on the ISP line up to the modem.
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

Message 8 of 10
jovialone
Aspirant

Ok! That is some wonderful information that I will certainly work on. However, is all of that enough to crash the RBR750 while the modem is perfectly fine? When the rbr750 crashes at fast sustained downloads and goes purple light…I can unplug the router from the modem straight into my laptop and still have internet. So the modem while not perfect as you showed me is still functional while the rbr750 is hard locked until power cycled.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements