Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 mesh system constantly dropping Wifi

_marc_
Aspirant

RBR750 mesh system constantly dropping Wifi

Hello. 

Our home wifi mesh system is constantly and randomly dropping the wifi signal.

Here is the setup with 2 RBS750 satellites, both on V4.6.5.14:

Hardware VersionRBR750

Firmware VersionV4.6.5.14_2.0.54

GUI Language VersionV3.0.1.2_2.1.30.3

Operation ModeRouter

WIRELESS SETTINGS (GENERAL)

RegionNorth America

2.4G ChannelAuto (3)

2.4G Wireless mode:Up to 573.5 Mbps

5G Channel36 + 40 + 44 + 48(P)

5G Wireless mode:Up to 1201 Mbps

The house is around 3,500 Sq Ft. with router on top floor and one satellite per floor. 

I have rebooted the system many times, reset/reinstalled it, and moved the satellites around without success in fixing the issue. I have not tried to play with the wireless settings yet. 

Any help in troubleshooting would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 mesh system constantly dropping Wifi

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

You might review this and give it a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 2 of 15
_marc_
Aspirant

The router is connected to a Spectrum D3.1 eMTA, DOCSIS 3.1 Advanced Voice Modem. 

The router and satellites are spaced out with more than 30 feet between them, blue status lights. 

Thanks for linking the thread to the new firmware. I'm going to take a look and give it a try. Will update this thread if it fixes my issues. 

Thanks,

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 5 of 15
_marc_
Aspirant

Nope... Still having the same issues, I've been disconnected maybe 10 times this morning. Makes my work very difficult. 

I'm looking to replace the system with anything else but Netgear products at this point.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

Message 7 of 15
_marc_
Aspirant

V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release.

Message 9 of 15
_marc_
Aspirant

No I have not done a factory reset yet. We'll try that too I guess.

I hope everyone reading this realise how ridiculous this process is for a $500+ system... 

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

And would you monitor the routers IP address/debug.htm page and check the uptime for any changes from what you see one day to another. Wondering if your RBR is rebooting randomly. 

Message 11 of 15
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@_marc_ 

I don't see a recent response to this - hoping this means that things have settled down for you are are now working.

In case they are not, I see that you responded that you have a "Spectrum D3.1 eMTA, DOCSIS 3.1 Advanced Voice Modem. ".   That's a pretty generic description, but I believe I used to get the same description when I looked - and I actually had something like a Hitron E31T2V1 or E31U2V1 or something in that E31x2V1 model line.

Are you receiving your phone service through the same modem?  While not everyone who gets this modem from Spectrum also gets voice service - some do.   If you are - whenever you lose your internet/wifi -   pick up the phone and see if you have phone service or if you have NO dial tone.    If you have no dial tone at the same time, then it's your MODEM silently rebooting/resetting, not the Orbi.    

I mention this because I lived through this for months with Spectrum and that modem.   When I called - they always said that there is no issue - although there was.   It took a while before I was finally able to figure it out - when no dial tone - the modem was rebooting - although all of the lights didn't go out like a normal reboot.  It started happening about a year after that modem was put into place.

If you find this is happening - go to the Spectrum store and get a new modem.    I went from the E31U2V1  (Ubee manufactured) to the E31T2V1 (Techniciolor manufactured) - and have been rock solid ever since.  Hoping the "T" version doesn't crap out after a year like the "U" version did.

Message 12 of 15
_marc_
Aspirant

I have a the model EU2251 and I do not have voice services with my plan. 

I'm still experiencing a lot of disconnections even after doing a factory reset and reinstalling from scratch. I'm running a debug.htm to see what would come out of it. 

Message 13 of 15
_marc_
Aspirant

What am I supposed to look for in the logs and which file? 

Thanks,

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the system uptime for any changes from what you see one day to another.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7