Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR760 can not connect smart plug

rconn
Aspirant

RBR760 can not connect smart plug

I've tried as much as I can and read/watch videos on setting up a smart device on an Orbi RBR760 mesh router and even when my phone (Pixel 6) says I'm on 2.4g the smart plug won't connect. The app times out. Sometimes the smart plug (Teckin) will blink fast for a bit and then stop (power light stays on), but the app timer runs its 2 minute course and says connection failed. I've reduced the 5g power to 25%, turned off the 5g under the AX feature, tried walking to where I had no connection in my cul-de-sac and then slowly walking back until I had connection... Nothing has worked... Is it the Teckin smart plug or my phone that always seems to find 5g eventually or the router?

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR760 can not connect smart plug

I have an outdoor Teckin smart plug. It has been (probably) over a year, but I do not recall doing anything unusual to connect it to an Orbi RBR50.  (I have since replaced it with a KASA outdoor plug because I had far too many different brands and KASA are my "go to" smart plugs.)  If I can find the Teckin, I'll install it again to see what happens.

Message 2 of 8
rconn
Aspirant

I'll try purchasing some Kasa plugs. I've had the Teckins since April of 2020 and they worked great with my Nighthawk router and at the shop with a Comcast supplied modem/router. Maybe the software in the plugs has changed enough over the last couple years that a newer plug is required?!

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@rconn wrote:

Is it the Teckin smart plug or my phone that always seems to find 5g eventually or the router?

The Teckin cannot "find 5G" because it does not have a radio chip capable of 5G. Never.

Which specific Teckin plug is this?

One tactic that has worked for others is to do the following:

• Use two smartphones (the one with the smart plug app plus another that can create a WiFi Hot Spot)
    In my experience, Hot Spots created by phones are 2.4G.
  • Temporarily power off the home WiFi system.
  • Open a Hot Spot with exactly the same WiFi credentials as the home system.
  • Connect the phone with the smart plug app to the Hot Spot.
  • Reset the smart plug and go through the configuration.
  • After the plug is working, shut off the Hot Spot and power up the home WiFi network.
Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@rconn wrote:

Maybe the software in the plugs has changed enough over the last couple years that a newer plug is required?!

Well........ maybe. (but I doubt it).

If there are Teckin plugs working in other locations, that is one reason to "keep with one brand".  One app can control them all.

Message 5 of 8
rconn
Aspirant

Sorry I wasn't clear, I just meant my phone is finding 5g, not the Teckin. Just wondering if it's the Teckin smart plug with the issue or that my phone is the issue because it (my phone) keeps finding 5g.

I'll give the Hot Spot a try this evening.

The smart plug model is an SP10

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I went to Amazon to buy an SP10, and Amazon does not seem to sell them.  Damn.

Message 7 of 8
rconn
Aspirant

Yeah, when I click on the link from my order it say it no longer exists. 😔

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements