Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850/RBK852 intermittent connectivity google meet

pontooon
Aspirant

RBR850/RBK852 intermittent connectivity google meet

Every 5 minutes my laptop loses its connection during a video call on Google meet.

My iPhone has the same issue to a lesser extent.

I tried hard wiring into the modem and did not experience the issue.

I think the issue is a Wi-Fi issue with the modem.

Can anyone help? I was reading online that the traffic meter may be the issue, so I disabled that. Is there anything else I can try? This is negatively affecting my ability to do my job, so it’s really frustrating.
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850/RBK852 intermittent connectivity google meet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System?

Message 2 of 12
pontooon
Aspirant

RouterRBR850RBR850V4.6.14.3No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-1V4.6.14.3Service unreachable

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I'm using xfinity 1 gigabit connection. The issue has occurred with both an Arris SB8200 and Arris S33 modem.

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

I'm using the flat cat 5e cable that was included with my Netgear Orbi RBK852. I can try a new cable

1550 sqft

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

It's pretty close to 30 feet, maybe a little less

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

2.4ghz is on 4, 5ghz is using 48

11 networks including my two networks (guest and regular). One of my neighbors has an Orbi

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

Yes, many power cycles have been performed

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

I haven't done this yet, but I'll do this if necessary. I have quite a few wifi devices I'd need to reconnect

Note that this issue is recent (last few weeks). I was having good internet with the current router placement and home up until recently. I didn't change anything on my end, although I do have auto firmware upgrades enabled. It's also possible a neighbor has added a new wifi network that's giving interference.

So far I'm testing a video call from one of my laptops to the other with the traffic meter disabled. It seems to be good so far, but it's hard to tell since nobody is talking

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@pontooon wrote:

Router RBR850 RBR850 V4.6.14.3 No New Firmware Available
Satellite RBS850 Orbi Satellite-1 V4.6.14.3 Service unreachable

I'm using xfinity 1 gigabit connection. The issue has occurred with both an Arris SB8200 and Arris S33 modem.

I'm using the flat cat 5e cable that was included with my Netgear Orbi RBK852. I can try a new cable

You need a CAT6A STP here. 

1550 sqft

For this size of home, having the RBS maybe too much. I would first try testing with out the RBS being turned ON. Or set the power on the RBR to 25%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

It's pretty close to 30 feet, maybe a little less

2.4ghz is on 4, 5ghz is using 48

Try channel 1, 6 or 11. 

11 networks including my two networks (guest and regular). One of my neighbors has an Orbi

Yes, many power cycles have been performed

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

I haven't done this yet, but I'll do this if necessary. I have quite a few wifi devices I'd need to reconnect

Note that this issue is recent (last few weeks). I was having good internet with the current router placement and home up until recently. I didn't change anything on my end, although I do have auto firmware upgrades enabled. It's also possible a neighbor has added a new wifi network that's giving interference.

So far I'm testing a video call from one of my laptops to the other with the traffic meter disabled. It seems to be good so far, but it's hard to tell since nobody is talking

Message 4 of 12
pontooon
Aspirant

I switched to 2.4ghz 11 and 5ghz 44

I just switched to a cat6 cable I had laying around. I ordered a cat 6a stp cable and will try that tomorrow

Regarding not using the RBS, I've tried this previously. I got extremely poor speeds on the far side of my house with just the RBR. I'll try disabling the RBS again just to see.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can turn down the power on the RBR if you need the RBS online. 

Message 6 of 12
pontooon
Aspirant

You need a CAT6A STP here. 

Issue remains with CAT 6 cable. Not using CAT6A STP yet, but I doubt the ethernet cable is the issue, since my old ethernet cable worked well prior with the Orbi prior to the issue occurring. I'll report back after the CAT6A STP cable, but expect no change from the cable.

For this size of home, having the RBS maybe too much. I would first try testing with out the RBS being turned ON. Or set the power on the RBR to 25%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

I was able to confirm that the issue continues to occur even if I disable the RBS. When I disable the RBS, my fast.com speed reduces from 600 mbit/s down to 30 mbit/s. Even when I do not use the RBS, the video continues to disconnect intermittently.

Try channel 1, 6 or 11. 

Issue remains after switching channels to 2.4ghz: 11 and 5ghz: 44

I also tried making a video call via Google Meet with both computers on the call connected to the router via an ethernet cord. So far the issue has not occurred on the wired connection.

I'll continue testing the wired connection.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What were the results of turning OFF the RBS? 

@pontooon wrote:

I switched to 2.4ghz 11 and 5ghz 44

I just switched to a cat6 cable I had laying around. I ordered a cat 6a stp cable and will try that tomorrow

Regarding not using the RBS, I've tried this previously. I got extremely poor speeds on the far side of my house with just the RBR. I'll try disabling the RBS again just to see.

Message 8 of 12
pontooon
Aspirant

The issue still occurs with the RBS unplugged. I tried testing wirelessly with only the RBR plugged in. The wifi speeds dropped from 600 mbit to 30 mbit. Even with the lower speed, the video call had enough bandwidth to operate. The connection did repeatedly drop out, as I could see clearly on my internet traffic monitor.

The issue does NOT occur when the laptop is wired into the RBR directly. I did this using a CAT 6 cable (not CAT 6A) and the RBS was offline since my laptop is wired directly. I could see on my internet connection monitoring tool that the wired connection kept a constantly good connection for multiple hours.

Things I have ruled out as NOT the problem:

1) Ethernet cable

2) Router

3) My ISP

Things I have confirmed as being part of the problem:

1) RBR850 with latest firmware

2) Wireless

I have also determined the RBS is likely not part of the problem, since the problem occurs with just the RBR alone.

Regarding wifi channel, the issue occurs on multiple channels. I suspect wifi channel is not related to the issue.

My current suspicion is that the RBR upgraded its firmware automatically, and that the latest firmware has a bug.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking I should do a firmware reset as a next step.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Ya I going to ask you how the system was updated. AU has been known to cause problems.

I would manually download the RBS and RBR FW files and apply the FW files directly to the RBS first and RBR lastly, using there web pages with a ethernet connected PC:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-...

Once the files have been applied and processed by the units, power them OFF for 1 minute then back ON. I would probably do a Factory reset and setup from scratch using same wired PC and web browser here as well. 

Message 10 of 12
pontooon
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and manual firmware update. The issue remains.

I also tried a huge variety of router settings.

I’ve also tried moving the satellite even farther away.

Nothing seems to work.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, turn OFF the RBS and disable AX mode on the RBR under Basic Tab/Wireless Settings. 

Is SIP ALP enabled or disabled currently? Try SIP ALG Enabled if it's disabled. 

Set manual channel 1 and 40.

Set 40Mhz only Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. 

BE sure that Armor, SPC and Traffic Meter are not enabled on the RBR.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series