Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router crashing every 4-5 days (solid magenta error) [RBK852]

AlphaCat
Guide

Router crashing every 4-5 days (solid magenta error) [RBK852]

About 2 months ago I purchased the RBK852 Orbi (router and satellite) new, and since then the solid magenta error has been happening about once a week, sometimes twice.  Each time, there was no unusual traffic or streaming load occurring. The satellite is also not too far from the router. Both are running the latest firmware (v 4.6.3.16)

Each time it loses connection I've just been unplugging the router and plugging it back in. Oh, and the router is plugged directly into the ISP service box with a 1-meter long ethernet cable, and the unit is out in the open (i.e., not put in an poorly ventilated space).

Anyone know if there's a fix of some kind that can stop this from happening so often? FWIW, the ISP-provided router that the Orbi replaced only crashed once in 2 years.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Router crashing every 4-5 days (solid magenta error) [RBK852]

has this been happening since day 1? 

There's a newer firmware that's been released to the forum if you want to try it. 

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Re... - NETGEAR Communities

Also, there's been reports of memory creep on the 7 and 8 series that's being worked on. 

How many devices do you have connected?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

has this been happening since day 1? 

There's a newer firmware that's been released to the forum if you want to try it. 

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Re... - NETGEAR Communities

Also, there's been reports of memory creep on the 7 and 8 series that's being worked on. 

How many devices do you have connected?

Message 2 of 8
AlphaCat
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe not day 1, but definitely week 1.

There are about 21 devices connected throughout the house occupied by 3 people.

I'll try updating the newer firmware later tonight after everyone goes to bed. 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Hope it works for you!

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@AlphaCat wrote:

About 2 months ago I purchased the RBK852 Orbi (router and satellite) new, and since then the solid magenta error has been happening about once a week, sometimes twice.  Each time, there was no unusual traffic or streaming load occurring. The satellite is also not too far from the router. Both are running the latest firmware (v 4.6.3.16)

Each time it loses connection I've just been unplugging the router and plugging it back in. Oh, and the router is plugged directly into the ISP service box with a 1-meter long ethernet cable, and the unit is out in the open (i.e., not put in an poorly ventilated space).

Anyone know if there's a fix of some kind that can stop this from happening so often? FWIW, the ISP-provided router that the Orbi replaced only crashed once in 2 years.

Message 5 of 8
AlphaCat
Guide

I'm in Australia and have a FTTH connection, so the ONT is the one provided by NBN (the government's monopoly operator). It's just a white box with no obvious branding or model info.

I updated the firmware 2 days ago and so far so good. I'll post again if the error happens.

Message 6 of 8
leonzet
Tutor

Same issue here with the version 4.6.3.16. But I can only install the update file manually.
The app and orbilogin keeps telling me I have the latest firmware! Is this something worth fixing?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try newer FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Be sure to follow the post installation instructions as well. 

@leonzet wrote:
Same issue here with the version 4.6.3.16. But I can only install the update file manually.
The app and orbilogin keeps telling me I have the latest firmware! Is this something worth fixing?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7