Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Speed Test Issues

Foxes2015
Aspirant

Speed Test Issues

I have a 1.2G internet from Xfinity and have the Orbi RBR750. Ever since I installed I had solid speeds and it used to report just under 1G internet on the speed tests. For the last 2 months that speed has dropped a lot a peaks around 650 Mbps. I’ve seen quite a few other similar threads but nothing makes sense. I’m able to get the full speed delivered to the house when directly attached to the CM1000v2 modem but when the Orbi router is connected to the modem the built in speed test and same internet speed tests connected to the Orbi Ethernet ports the speed drops to ~600Mbps - Xfinity confirmed 1.2G speed to modem and 1G after modem is as expected. What’s going on with these Orbi routers? Should I return for replacement as this is still under 1yr old and in warranty. I didn’t invest in this standard of equipment to get such degraded performance.. even if 600Mbps is still “good” - any clues. I’ve of course tested cables etc and used the same ones that report good speeds direct on to the modem. I have cat 6 cables and the Xfinity tech replaced all coax screw terminals.
Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear has created a highly organized, but not intuitive community forum. In addition to the original Orbi forum, there are also forums for the LTE products, the Orbi Voice, the Pro, Orbis with internal cable modems, and.... (drum roll) the Orbi AX line.

There is a chance that posting the question in the Orbi AX forum will attract the attention of someone who owns the AX and watches that forum.  (I say a chance because I do not have an AX Orbi and never open that forum. Have no idea if posts get responses quickly, or ... not)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

That said, I believe you are correct: With a single gigabit port on the CM1000v2, the absolute most speed that can be achieved is just under 1gb.

Is that historical SpeedTest graph from the Orbi?  (My sad old 'original Orbi' has no option to display past results. Would be cool to have that feature.)

I'm sure you realize that a lot of factors outside of the router can affect internet speed.  If you decide to dump the Orbi because of this, what would replace it?

Message 2 of 14
Foxes2015
Aspirant

Yes the speed test report is from the Orbi itself- it’s quite a neat feature as regardless of how I’m connected WiFi or Ethernet, the results come direct from the router Internet port uplink to modem.
I don’t know why the speeds have dropped - I’ve tried factory reset.
I have been impressed overall and the satellite station with 5Ghz dedicated backhaul has improved WiFi throughout the house. As it’s under warranty I’m hoping to get replaced with the same.. assuming this is a faulty device and not an issue in newer firmware etc. Earlier speed tests when new this year were just what I’d expected
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:

Test your speed with a wired PC and Ooklas installable speed test app instead of Orbi app.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

I was surprised to see this post which appears to indicate that the Orbi Speed Test (by Ookla) does not match the regular Speed Test by Ookla.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR750-RBS750-download-speed-dropped-300Mbps-after-fw-4-6-3-7/... 

As my internet feed tops out at 230mb, I am in no position to explore what the heck is going on.

Message 5 of 14
Foxes2015
Aspirant

Whilst I don’t dispute there may be issues with the internal speed test on the router (although I don’t see any) this issue is resolved by going back to the latest v3 firmware.

All speed tests are improved with that older firmware regardless of if you use apps, router, wired or wireless.

I hadn’t really noticed by my lan internet speeds all dropped to around 600Mbps after the 4 firmware. Reverting back had everything running blazing fast matching the speeds that come directly off the modem.

Netgear need to fix this bad firmware and give users a better way to downgrade. God help anyone who’s not an engineer. Going back to the oldest version to get telnet support, disabling auto update and then bringing everything back up at the router and modem to the latest stable version is not for your casual user. Thought I’d bricked my satellite several times but hopefully all is good at v3.2.18.1 - I will not be upgrading automatically again.
Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact NG support and let them know what you experienced.

Glad you got it working again. Be sure to post about any Orbi AX, support, information or issues in the Orbi AX forum. 

Enjoy. 

Message 7 of 14
Foxes2015
Aspirant

How do I contact support? Despite being less than 12 months old, I only seem to be able to purchase “premium” support. Or call at my expense..
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 14
Foxes2015
Aspirant

FURRYe38 - all I see on that page, since my device is more than 90 days old is premium paid support options.
I know this is nothing to do with you and not personal but that’s outrageous. This is clearly a FW issue. I have a device less than 12 months old that cost in excess of $500 and now I need to pay a premium to report a problem (which the hundreds of other comments verify NG don’t have a solution for) 🤷🏻‍♂️
Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please send a PM to @Blanca_O and @DarrenM 

Thanks. 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

@Foxes2015 

ALL USERS of the 7 series Orbi AX system, please contact NG support by opening a support ticket and contact NG and ask them for the beta that seems to be avialable for the 7 series that seems to be directed to fixed what everyone with a 7 series has been having problems with:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

For user out of warranty, contact @Blanca_O and @DarrenM and send them a PM and ask for the beta. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/213650...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/213652...

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 14
SSEpochX
Aspirant

I signed up for the forums just to find a solution to this problem. 

I have a Orbi Router RBR750, after the update to V4.6.3.7_2.0.49, my wifi speeds are down to 20mbps, but I have 600mbps internet. I did confirm the satalite gets the correct bandwidth over the backbone, but not to the connected devices.

Not sure how to contact a person to get the beta firmware. 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

For user out of warranty, contact @Blanca_O and @DarrenM and send them a PM and ask for the beta. 

@SSEpochX wrote:

I signed up for the forums just to find a solution to this problem. 

I have a Orbi Router RBR750, after the update to V4.6.3.7_2.0.49, my wifi speeds are down to 20mbps, but I have 600mbps internet. I did confirm the satalite gets the correct bandwidth over the backbone, but not to the connected devices.

Not sure how to contact a person to get the beta firmware. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7