Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4GHz device won't connect to Orbi

spopat
Aspirant

2.4GHz device won't connect to Orbi

I am trying to set up a device that only works with the 2.4 ghz band and has to be set up using an app on my SM-G975U. For this device, it asks me to select the wifi network (from a list of all visible networks) I want to use to connect the device.I have created a 2.4Ghz SSID with Orbubut it won't connect Any solutions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: 2.4GHz device won't connect to Orbi

You can find this in the Tips and Tricks at the top of this forum.  I'll repeat it here.

Try this method which works for most IoT devices that require your smart phone to also be on the 2.4GHz frequency to configure their WiFi.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 (IP address of your router's LAN port).
3. The login window opens, enter username "admin" and the password that you configured for your router.
4. Click Advanced tab > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.
5. Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" for the 5GHz frequency and click Apply to save the settings.
6. Confirm that your smartphone is connected to the 2.4GHz frequency. If it is still connected to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password. Now your smartphone should be on the 2.4GHz frequency.
7. Try connecting your IoT device to the Orbi network per its setup instructions.
8. If it works, re-enable the broadcast SSID option for the 5GHz frequency.
9. On your smartphone, turn WiFi off and back on again and it should reconnect to the strongest signal.
10. If your smartphone did not reconnect to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network again for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@spopat wrote:

I am trying to set up a device that only works with the 2.4 ghz band and has to be set up using an app on my SM-G975U. For this device, it asks me to select the wifi network (from a list of all visible networks) I want to use to connect the device.I have created a 2.4Ghz SSID with Orbi but it won't connect Any solutions or help would be appreciated!

It is often helpful to identify the device in question.  People on the forum have a lot of experience with cameras, smart plugs, garage door openers, light bulbs, door locks, etc.  When you specify the exact product, we can do things like look at the User Manual to try to deduce what may be going wrong.  Also, what is the meaning of "I have created a 2.4GHz SSID with Orbi"?  Does this mean this Orbi has separate SSID's for 2.4G and 5G networks?

Message 3 of 6
spopat
Aspirant

Thanks - I tried that unfortunately it didn't work. The device I am trying to connect which is 2.4Ghz is cakked Rotimatic. Flat bread maker.

Message 4 of 6
spopat
Aspirant

Thanks - I tried that unfortunately it didn't work. The device I am trying to connect which is 2.4Ghz is called Rotimatic. Flat bread maker.

Yes I have 2 seperate SSid for 2.4 and 5Ghz. Tanjs

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@spopat wrote:

The device I am trying to connect which is 2.4Ghz is called Rotimatic. Flat bread maker.

Well, with separate SSID's for 2.4G and 5G, and the phone connected to the 2.4G SSID, then my guess is it has to do with the instruction to ensure that "mobile data is turned off".  https://support.rotimatic.com/en/articles/2057555-unable-to-connect-to-wi-fi 

I have run into this before When the Rotimatic app connectes to the Rotimatic WiFi web site, it will get an IP address from the Rotimatic, but will have no internet connection (because the Rotimatic is not yet connected to the Orbi WiFi.)  Phones hate having no internet, so many phones will say, "Oh, look.  Here's my LTE connection.  IT has data.  Let's do that."  This screws up the connection to the Rotimatic, and the phone app just sort of dies.

On my Android phone, there is a slider to disable mobile data.  I know nothing about iPhones.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7