Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Control and Whitelist / Block New Connections Primary Network - Allow new devices on G...

aeiou_y
Follower

Access Control and Whitelist / Block New Connections Primary Network - Allow new devices on Guest

So, after spending sometime researching this, I'm pretty shocked that this setup is not possible. 

Objectives:

1) Primary network with access control turned on that blocks new devices by default and only allows devices with white-listed MAC addresses to connect

2) Guest network that allows new devices to connect

This is an extremeley common used case, but I think may be one the Orbi does NOT support. 

When you go to the UI...Advanced>Security>Access control, it seems the access controls apply to both the Primary and Guest network, which effectively makes them pointless.

Am I missing something? Will be returning this product if use case above is not supported. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Access Control and Whitelist / Block New Connections Primary Network - Allow new devices on G...

Hi aeiou_y

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Guest network cannot be excluded from the Access Control list. 

You can also monitor list of connected devices via the Orbi app and web UI to allow and to block devices. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 11

I'm looking for the same funtionality as the OP.  My teenage son is pretty smart and figured out how to change his MAC address anytime his time limit is exceeded.  He's blocked for maybe 3 minutes and then he's back on again.  The ability to have a whitelist and block all "new" devices would solve this issue.  

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might give Armor or Circle a try and see if any of these helps. 

Forums are located here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Check for default parental controls currently offered in the UI, check out the user manual for this.

Maybe remove the device from time to time as punishment for changing the MAC address. Smiley Wink

@farmboy3000 wrote:

I'm looking for the same funtionality as the OP.  My teenage son is pretty smart and figured out how to change his MAC address anytime his time limit is exceeded.  He's blocked for maybe 3 minutes and then he's back on again.  The ability to have a whitelist and block all "new" devices would solve this issue.  

Message 4 of 11

Thanks...I'm already using Circle.  Yes, I can remove the new device when it appears but that would also mean that I would need to be constantly watching the network for new devices.  Also, I go to bed before my son does, so I need the bedtime limits to work without me having to stay up all night checking for new devices.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact NG support to see if Armour or any other Circle or Access or parental controls settings would help look for new devices and block them. Does access controls offer blocking of new devices? 

I would make contact with NG support to see what configurations, if any can help with this.

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Remove the device when you go to bed and return in the morning. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@farmboy3000 wrote:

I am confused.  This seems to me to be exactly what "Access Control" does.  MAC addresses in the table are "whitelisted" and anything else is not.  If someone changes to a new MAC address, then it is a "new" device and cannot connect.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So does this not work for you in Access Controls? 

@farmboy3000 wrote:

Thanks...I'm already using Circle.  Yes, I can remove the new device when it appears but that would also mean that I would need to be constantly watching the network for new devices.  Also, I go to bed before my son does, so I need the bedtime limits to work without me having to stay up all night checking for new devices.

Message 8 of 11

Thanks...Apparently I didn't see the checkbox to block new devices in Access Control. This should work.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@farmboy3000 wrote:

Thanks...Apparently I didn't see the checkbox to block new devices in Access Control. This should work.  Thanks!

In previous firmware releases, there were reports that Access Control did not function as intended.  It would probably be worth conducting an experiment to verify that it does now.  I, myself, have not enabled Access Control because of the frustration of giving visitors access to WiFi.  It's not all that convenient to say, "oh, shoot, I need to turn access control off so you can check the web."  I could have just turned on Guest access with no password, but that seems just "not a good idea", either.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it works out for you. 

@farmboy3000 wrote:

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7