Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Assigning Static IP Address To Device Not Working?

jsurpless
Aspirant

Assigning Static IP Address To Device Not Working?

I'm trying to assign dedicated static IP addresses to certain devices (namely, smart light switches).

It appeared to work just fine for the 1st one, I didn't even have to reboot the device.  But then the 2nd one, no luck either immediately OR after a reboot.  Tried changing the dedicated IP address for the 1st device, no go this time.

Devices just seem to stick with their preferred IP.

I also tried my computer and no go either.

BTW, I am doing this under 'ADVANCED / SETUP / LAN SETUP / ADDRESS RESERVATION'.  I have verified that my desired static IPs aren't in use by another device as well.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Assigning Static IP Address To Device Not Working?

I am afraid that you are caught in the tangled web of Orbi DHCP assignment.  Once a device has received an IP address from the Orbi, that assignment seems to take precedence over the value recorded in the LAN Setup table.

My practice (just personally) is to enter new devices into the LAN Setup table before connecting them to the network. Most smart plugs have the MAC address printed on the product label, often on the back of the case where the electric plug is.  When I do this step first, then gizmos always get the IP address I want them to have.

When I have neglected to perform this step and a device has an IP address that is not what I want it to have, I use this procedure to force it to change:

• Dig out the old cell phone that I no longer use as my "daily driver". (no SIM card in it) - or use a laptop
  • Unplug the offending smart plug
  • Go into network settings on the phone/laptop and set the phone/laptop to a Static IP address* that is the IP that the smart plug has gotten by accident
  • Connect to the Orbi WiFi
  • Verify on Attached devices that the phone/laptop is connected and has taken the IP address
  • Then, connect the smart plug.  This time, the plug will say, "give me the IP I had last time", but the Orbi will do an ARP request "does anybody already have this IP?", find that the phone/laptop has it, and give the smart plug the IP that is in the LAN setup table.
  • (I have also done this Static IP process with a laptop.)

* This is sort of an OCD thing, but "Static IP" usually refers to an IP address that has been set on the device itself, whereas "reserved IP" or "assigned IP" refer to the process of having the network assign a specific IP to a device.

Message 2 of 4
jsurpless
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn

Thanks for the reply - good point on the static vs reserved.  My own OC will appreciate the distinction 😉

It's not ideal but I found that rebooting the Orbi did the trick.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@jsurpless wrote:

It's not ideal but I found that rebooting the Orbi did the trick.

A much simpler solution.  (Why do I have this mania about seeing how long my Orbi can stay "up"?)  A reboot certainly takes less time than my process.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7