Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridge mode not working for CBR40 Router

Bmurph
Aspirant

Bridge mode not working for CBR40 Router

Hi All, I have an issues here that I am trying to resolve can cannot figure out for the life of me. I am trying to connect the Orbi router to an ATT router. I understand in router mode this will cause a double NAT and not be able to resolve traffic from ATT to Orbi. Here is what I cannot figure out. Firmware is v2.5.x up to date as of this post. When Orbi is connected to the ATT router (Obri in Router mode) after factory reset. I can see the Orbi wifi network and connect to it just fine to setup the Orbi Router. However, in order to connect to Orbi router for setup via wifi, I need to disconnect the cable from the ATT router to the Orbi router as they both use 192.168.1.x subnets (double NAT). After I connect to Orbi with the cable disconnected between ATT and Orbi, I attempt to put the Orbi in bridge mode. When I do this, I cannot connect by LAN cable (CAT5) and no wifi networks show again. I keep having to factory reset back to Router mode for wifi and device setup. Any suggestions on what to do and if I can SSH to look at some logs on the router to see WTH is going on? Thanks in advance all!

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
vajim
Master

Re: Bridge mode not working for CBR40 Router

@Bmurph wrote:

Hi All, I have an issues here that I am trying to resolve can cannot figure out for the life of me. I am trying to connect the Orbi router to an ATT router. I understand in router mode this will cause a double NAT and not be able to resolve traffic from ATT to Orbi. Here is what I cannot figure out. Firmware is v2.5.x up to date as of this post. When Orbi is connected to the ATT router (Obri in Router mode) after factory reset. I can see the Orbi wifi network and connect to it just fine to setup the Orbi Router. However, in order to connect to Orbi router for setup via wifi, I need to disconnect the cable from the ATT router to the Orbi router as they both use 192.168.1.x subnets (double NAT). After I connect to Orbi with the cable disconnected between ATT and Orbi, I attempt to put the Orbi in bridge mode. When I do this, I cannot connect by LAN cable (CAT5) and no wifi networks show again. I keep having to factory reset back to Router mode for wifi and device setup. Any suggestions on what to do and if I can SSH to look at some logs on the router to see WTH is going on? Thanks in advance all!

This will get you to area you which you may have already visited 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

the bigger question is why run another router with the orbi router?

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bmurph wrote:

Sorry to say this BUT... I sincerely believe the CBR40 Cable Modem router cannot be connected to another router, ONLY to a cable system COAX.  I think what you are trying to do is impossible. Check the CBR40 user manual to make sure.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CBK40/CBK40_All_MSOs_UM_EN.pdf 

Orbi's do not support SSH, but they do support telnet. Activate telnet by connecting to http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm with the admin credentials ("admin" and "password" - unless you have changed the password).

Message 3 of 7
Bmurph
Aspirant

Hi,

ATT is DSL and I do not have cable so I cannot use the router in the Orbi.

I have tried the KB referenced, but when I click Bridge mode (As I don't have AP mode) it does not allow me to choose an IP and automtically restart Orbi.  Then, is seems to be bricked.

Message 4 of 7
vajim
Master

@Bmurph wrote:

Hi,

I have tried the KB referenced, but when I click Bridge mode (As I don't have AP mode) it does not allow me to choose an IP and automtically restart Orbi.  Then, is seems to be bricked.

Bad  purchase before doing homework 

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, For the CBR40, bridge mode means that for the CBR40 it's internal router and wifi are disabled, leaving the modem portion running only which is considered modem only mode(bridged). The CBR40 is meant for a cable ISP service only. It only supports gateway mode, router and wifi are enabled or Modem only mode(router and wifi disabled.) 

If your wanting to use the CBR40s wifi system, one can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/CBR40-with-external-modem-yes-but-wi...

FYI, the top ring LED will always be ON as Pink and the front downlink LED will always blink as well. 

@Bmurph wrote:

Hi,

Message 6 of 7
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The CBR40 is meant for a cable ISP service only. It only supports gateway mode, router and wifi are enabled or Modem only mode(router and wifi disabled.) 

@Bmurph wrote:

Hi,

ATT is DSL and I do not have cable 

Bad purchase before doing homework 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7