Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I Replace Netgear Wireless Gateway(CG3000D) with Orbi?

Pmohanti
Follower

Can I Replace Netgear Wireless Gateway(CG3000D) with Orbi?

I have a Netgear Wirless Gateway (CG3000D) and have been using for years (even after moving from an apartment to a house of 2500 sq ft). Now that I have increases home automation devices into my smart home hub shall I replace my exisiting wifi hub with something like orbi.
If yes what is the best and economical recommendation ?
Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Re: Can I Replace Netgear Wireless Gateway(CG3000D) with Orbi?

@Pmohanti wrote:
I have a Netgear Wirless Gateway (CG3000D) ....

That device is for a modem that connects to a cable service.

If you are using it as a modem, you will still need a modem to feed the Orbi system.

I see no suggestion in the manual that you can easily put the CG3000D into modem only (bridge) mode.

So, to avoid possible issues on the local network you may have to put the Orbi into access point mode.

Or just buy a new cable modem to feed the Orbi network.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I Replace Netgear Wireless Gateway(CG3000D) with Orbi?

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Pmohanti wrote:
I have a Netgear Wirless Gateway (CG3000D) and have been using for years (even after moving from an apartment to a house of 2500 sq ft). Now that I have increases home automation devices into my smart home hub shall I replace my exisiting wifi hub with something like orbi.
If yes what is the best and economical recommendation ?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7