Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect to Sky - Option61 string

keitht11
Aspirant

Connect to Sky - Option61 string

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my new Orbi RBK50 to the Sky ISP. Sky needs to be sent an Option61 string to logon to their broadband service which I understand is often in the internet connection settings as a DHCP setting.

My Orbi internet settings page has no option for this, but reading through this forum I can see that other routers like the Nighthawk have this option, and even have Sky as an ISP that can be selected for the automatic setup.

Can anyone tell me how I can submit the Option61 string to logon to Sky from the Orbi?

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Connect to Sky - Option61 string

Orbi (or any non xDSL Nighthawk Router), isn’t able to support DHCP Option 61 or MER (Mac Encapsulated Routing).

MER authentication for Sky would be supported on an upstream device such as the Sky modem/router or Nighthawk DSL Router.

So simply connect Orbi Router via its WAN port to the upstream device and that’s it, ie., in Internet settings, set “Does your Internet connection require a login?” to “No”.

Only con is Orbi would inherit a private WAN IP, so a double NAT scenario.

Alternatively, Orbi can be configured in AP mode.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7