Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help changing an RBS50 from wired backhaul to wired backhaul

stewlevine
Aspirant

Help changing an RBS50 from wired backhaul to wired backhaul

I have an RBK53 system running in AP mode, router and satellites are running firmware 2.5.2.4. My satellites are currently connected over wireless backhaul, but I have run cable and would like to migrate to ethernet backhaul. All of my wiring runs through a series of home runs back to an OnQ panel in our wiring closet. A few lines are connected directly to our router, but most are connected via an unmanaged gigabit switch in the closet. When I tried connecting the satellite to a wired connection (through a 2nd unmanaged switch at the other end due to placement issues), the satellite could no longer establish a connection, and as a result I haven't tried connecting the other satellite (that would get the connection from the wall). 

Any suggestions on what to do to simplify the switchover to wired backhaul?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Help changing an RBS50 from wired backhaul to wired backhaul

I haven't used ethernet wired backhaul.  So, I'm of not much help here.

Most people connect the RBR and RBS directly with the ethernet cable.  Do that first to see if the wired backhaul works.

Then, the question on the table is whether the RBS can have switches between it and the RBR? Hope someone who has tried this will chime in.  In fact, can the RBS be hangng off the wired network across the building with any Ethernet topology between it and the RBR?

Message 2 of 10
GMoGoody8
Luminary

I have been following this topic since the summer as I was building my home, and my Orbis would be able to have access to home runs to one switch. The consensus I saw over the summer is that most people could only get Ethernet backhaul working with switches that didn’t support or could turn off the Green Ethernet Standard (802.3az).

I’m not sure if that is still the case on newer firmwares. I’ll personally be testing this in 10 days myself. All my switches unfortunately support 802.3az.
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume you mean wirelss backhaul to wired backhaul?

FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Hardwire-a-satellite-RBS50/m-p/2036995/highlight/true#M111072

@stewlevine wrote:

I have an RBK53 system running in AP mode, router and satellites are running firmware 2.5.2.4. My satellites are currently connected over wireless backhaul, but I have run cable and would like to migrate to ethernet backhaul. All of my wiring runs through a series of home runs back to an OnQ panel in our wiring closet. A few lines are connected directly to our router, but most are connected via an unmanaged gigabit switch in the closet. When I tried connecting the satellite to a wired connection (through a 2nd unmanaged switch at the other end due to placement issues), the satellite could no longer establish a connection, and as a result I haven't tried connecting the other satellite (that would get the connection from the wall). 

Any suggestions on what to do to simplify the switchover to wired backhaul?

Message 4 of 10
stewlevine
Aspirant

Yeah. That was what I meant wired to wireless, doesn't look like I can change the subject title.

I haven't had a chance to bring the satellites back to a direct connect to the router yet. I need a time when no one in the house is relying on our service. In the meantime, when I do try, do I need to reset the satellite and/or the router.

The switch in my wiring closet is a Netgear GS108, I don't see anything about 802.3az on Netgear's data page, but the Amazon sales page implies that the switch supports it, and as an unmanaged switch I am not sure I would be able to turn off support if it does have it. 

Message 5 of 10
stewlevine
Aspirant

One thing to add, I do have a TP-Link TL-SG108 and a Monoprice 10927 available to me both of which supports 802.3u and ab, but doesn't mention az on the spec sheet (the Monoprice router mentions supporting Green Ethernet without citing the spec). Thoughts on whether that would be a better option in the closet in supporting wired backhaul?

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@stewlevine wrote:

Yeah. That was what I meant wired to wireless, doesn't look like I can change the subject title.

I haven't had a chance to bring the satellites back to a direct connect to the router yet. I need a time when no one in the house is relying on our service. In the meantime, when I do try, do I need to reset the satellite and/or the router. No, just first wirelessly sync the RBS to the RBR if it's not already. After the RBS is online then connect the ethernet cable between the RBR and RBS, give about 5 minutes and check the status on the RBRs web page. Top ring on RBS will probably start to flash WHITE then turn BLUE.

The switch in my wiring closet is a Netgear GS108, I don't see anything about 802.3az on Netgear's data page, but the Amazon sales page implies that the switch supports it, and as an unmanaged switch I am not sure I would be able to turn off support if it does have it. The GS-108 will work fine, it's what I'm currently using with my wired back haul RBS. 

Be aware that you may see problems with RBS ethernet connected with v4 FW loaded.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I can't recommend anything TP-Link. 

@stewlevine wrote:

One thing to add, I do have a TP-Link TL-SG108 and a Monoprice 10927 available to me both of which supports 802.3u and ab, but doesn't mention az on the spec sheet (the Monoprice router mentions supporting Green Ethernet without citing the spec). Thoughts on whether that would be a better option in the closet in supporting wired backhaul?

Message 8 of 10
stewlevine
Aspirant

Hmm... the satellites connect just fine wirelessly, it's when I connect them to ethernet they cease to show up to the router. Disconnecting the cable and powercycling brings them back. That's why I asked if I needed to reset the satellite.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

How long did you wait to check for the RBS on the RBRs web page? 

You maybe having problems due to v4 FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Hardwire-a-satellite-RBS50/m-p/2036995/highlight/true#M111072

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7