Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to turn off firewall on Orbi

Choclit
Aspirant

How to turn off firewall on Orbi

I am trying to connect a Lutron Radio RA2 repeater to my network and the aoft3are is not finding it even though it is plugged in to my main Orbi router.  It has been suggested that I turn off the firewall to fix this issue but can't figure out how to turn off the firewall temporarily.  Can anyone tell me how to do this after I log in as admin?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to turn off firewall on Orbi

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try putting the IP address this one device gets into the DMZ on the RBR...

Is this device a wired or wireless connecting device? 

The Firewall is automatic and can't be disabled. You could configure ports thru the firewall as needed. You'll need to contact the Mfr of this device to see what ports they use. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I am not aware of any method to entirely disable the Orbi firewall.  There are clear procedures to open ports through the firewall for specific applications in the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup.

I may be looking at the wrong product.  "Lutron Radio RA2 Repeater" brings up this product: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/Main_Auxiliary%20Repeaters_369-227a.pdf 

The impression I get is that these repeaters are designed to connect Lutron dimmers and wall switches to a network for control by a smartphone app (?)  Perhaps it would help if you could describe more about what is going on?

Message 3 of 7
Choclit
Aspirant

That is the correct technical document.  It is the main repeater that is the problem.

The way this system works is all of the intelligence lives in the main repeater.  It uses RF to communicate to the dimmers, keypads, switches, occupancy sensors, etc.  However, the program that configures everything is a Windows app.  The first thing you do when you start the Windows app is look for the presence of the main repeater, and that is where the problem is.  Basically, the software can't find the main repeater on my network, even though it is directly connected via Ethernet.

The Wisconsin Lutron rep suggested turning off the Firewalls and that should solve the problem.  When digging through the Lutron forums over the weekend, the problem may be more complicated.  I am actually running the Windows app under Parallels on a Mac and a couple of people indicated that they have seen this problem with this configuation.  

I actually bought a very cheap Windows laptop yesterday to see if that would solve the problem but haven't even opened the box yet.  I thought it worth trying the reps suggestion before I open the box and go to a pure Windows implementation.

So, that is what I am trying to accomplish.  The Orbi doesn't seem to have a "Firewall On/Off" button anywhere that I can find, which is why I posted to this forum.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

My guess is the firewall is not relevant.  The firewall blocks connections from the internet.  It does not look at or interfere with packets within the Orbi LAN.  It will be interesting to see if using an "actual Windows computer" will make any difference.  (I think the odds are "not", but I have reached the point of "trying anything" many times.)

When the repeater is connected to the Orbi ethernet LAN, does it appear on the Orbi web interface display of "Attached Devices"?  I'm wondering how the Lutron app finds repeaters.  Some systems do broadcasts, "Any ??? on the network?", and wait to see if any device(s) respond.  That way, they learn the IP address(s) of the devices and can talk directly to them through the LAN.

Another possibility is to connect the repeater directly to the computer for setup, which gets into the idea of assigning static IP's.

Message 5 of 7
Choclit
Aspirant

I just looked at attached devices and the repeater is correctly recognized as being directly attached.  I think I will fire up the Windows computer tomorrow and try that as the next step.

Message 6 of 7
eljarviso
Luminary

How do you have your network configured on your parallels VM?  You should be using a bridged network.  Additionally ensure that both your Mac and your Windows VM do not have their firewalls turned on.  Additionally if you are bridging a wireless connection on your mac it might be blocking broadcast/multicast packets.  This MIGHT be resolved by using a USB ethernet adapter and conencting it directly to the VM using USB sharing.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7