Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Low speed XBOX series X on LAN port RBK53

Sanderc2
Aspirant

Low speed XBOX series X on LAN port RBK53

Dear readers, I have an RBR50 hardwired with CAT6 to my internet provider's modem. The RBS50 is connected by wire to the RBR50. On both routers/satellites I have the full speed of 1 gig up/down and 2 ms ping with WIFI. If I connect my XBOX series X wired to the RBR50 with CAT6 I only have an upload of 180mbit/s instead of 1 gig. The download speed is also much lower. If I connect the XBOX directly to my internet provider's modem, I have full speed. Does anyone know how this is possible?
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Low speed XBOX series X on LAN port RBK53

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Is IPv6 enabled or disabled on the RBR? 

Do other wired devices like PCs get near 900Mpbs when connected behind the RBR?

Message 2 of 11
Sanderc2
Aspirant

I only use CAT6 cables. Firmware is V2.7.4.24, the latest version. Ipv6 was enabled and I turned it on, with no results. Unfortunately I don't have a computer with which I can test these high speeds. It is true that the RBS, wired to RBR, transmits 1 gig via WIFI.
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

FW isn't most current:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk50#download

Orbi AC3000 Router and AC3000 Satellite
(1733+866+400Mbps)‡

1733 being the wireless backhaul between the RBR and RBS only. 866 is for front haul 5Ghz. 400 is 2.4Ghz. 

Game console should be ethernet connected vs wireless.

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

It would be really helpful to know which Internet Service Provider (ISP) is being used and what speed they have promised to deliver.  "Full Speed" is a bit ambiguous.

Some aspects of the problem statement appear inconsistent, such as " On both router/satellites I have the full speed of 1 gig up/down".  Yet the XBox reports 180Mbps up.  How is the 1 gig speed being measured?

The RBK53 system cannot possibly deliver 1 Gbps over WiFi.  i.e. " the RBS, wired to RBR, transmits 1 gig via WIFI" cannot be correct.  How is that being measured?  The fastest possible Link Rate is 833Mbps, which typically results in actual speed measurement of 400+ Mbps.

Message 5 of 11
Sanderc2
Aspirant

This is my speed on wifi.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What speed do you see with same mobile device and Ooklas installable speed test app? 

Orbi app measures from the RBR to the ISP modem out to the internet. 

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for posting the screen shot.  As @FURRYe38 remarked, the Orbi 'app' reports the results that are conducted on the Orbi router.  It does not perform a speed test itself. There is a connection between the router and the device running the app which is used to communicate everything that appears on the app, including the Speed Test results.  Actual performance over WiFi can be measured by downloading a speed test app to the smartphone/tablet or by using a web browser on the smartphone/tablet to connect to one of the speed testing web sites, such as Ookla Speed Test (https://www.speedtest.net ) or Google Speed Test (https://fiber.google.com/speedtest/ )

Another unfortunate aspect of the RBK53 product is that Netgear released new firmware for the product in February, 2023, but the Firmware Update feature does not report it or offer to install it.  (No one knows why.)  I doubt very much that the specific firmware version has any effect on the speed of wired devices.  However, one of the common recommendations when discussing electronic products is, "update the software".  If you should want to look into this, the newer firmware can be found here: https://kb.netgear.com/000065539/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-5-4 

Manual firmware updates are a bit tricky.  Instructions can be found here:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co... 

When testing speed with the XBox, is the same cable used for the connection?

Have you tried using different LAN ports on the Orbi router to perform the speed tests?

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If you get interested in manual update, try this process and let us know if it works for the 50 series:

Best Practice for Manual Firmware Updates On Orbi Systems 

@Sanderc2 

Message 9 of 11
Sanderc2
Aspirant

I ran the update manually and it went fine! Unfortunately, it doesn't matter in terms of speed. The cable between modem-router is different from router-XBOX but I have tried different cables with no results. Tomorrow I will buy a new cable so that I can connect the XBOX directly to the internet provider's modem.
Message 10 of 11
Sanderc2
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip! Coincidentally, an update was available and I assumed that this always happened automatically. That's why I thought that was the last version. Update was successful, but speed problem remains. Today I am going to run an extra cable to the meter cupboard so that the XBOX is connected directly to the modem. Thanks again!

Gr. Sander from The Netherlands
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7