Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple Orbi Network Failures with Wired Satellite

albedo
Guide

Multiple Orbi Network Failures with Wired Satellite

Hi all,

I’ve read the horror stories here about Orbi systems and thought I’d dodged a bullet, but no longer.

Been running an RBK40 with wired RBS40 for several months with no major isssues. Have been on 2.1.4.10 since release with no issues.

All of a sudden after a power outage the other night, when the satellite is connected via wired connection, the RBK40 fails in various mundane ways. iPhones can’t connect. MacBooks can connect but pings report not route to hosts (even the IP of the router). Not seeing these issues if satellite is connected via wireless backhaul.

Have factory reset both base and satellite (held reset button for about 30 sec, even after amber blink). Did back up and restore base settings.

About ready to find a more reliable competitor but thought I’d see if this rings a bell here first.

I updated to 2.1.4.16 on both and no difference in behavior.

TIA,
Joe
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
albedo
Guide

Re: Multiple Orbi Network Failures with Wired Satellite

Performed some further testing based on threads here. Ensured the satellite was connected via wireless backhaul and the network was fine, then plugged in ethernet for wired backhaul. Within moments the network went down, and previously connected devices (connected to the base) couldn't even ping the base.

Unplugged ethernet and the network quickly started working again.

Joe

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any network switches in between the router and satellite? If so, Mfr and model#?

After connecting the ethernet cable to 1 satellite first, you need to give 5 minutes time for the system to reconfigure the new connection. The top led will turn BLUE.

I recommend disconnecting ALL other wired devices or the LAN system from the Orbi router before you connect the ethernet to the satellite. Once you get the ethernet back haul working between the router and satellites, then connect the rest of the LAN devices back to the router.

Others are getting wired back haul working:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1591225/highli...

Message 3 of 7
albedo
Guide

Thanks much - no switches or hubs, and I have tried the approach of:

1. Start with no ethernet connections to base except to cable modem
  2. Unplug all satellites (from power)
  3. Plug in only the satellite for ethernet backhaul
  4. Wait for it to sync wirelessly
  5. Plug in ethernet between base and satellite
  6. Wait 10 min
  7. Result: No connectivity
  8. Unplug ethernet to satellite and everything works again within a minute or two
  9. Will try again powering up satellite with ethernet connected

Strangely this was working fine for a couple months and no new devices were added to the network since then.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure cabling is good between router and satellite?

Heres how I got back haul going on my friends system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 5 of 7
albedo
Guide

Have confirmed cabling. Also reached out to Netgear support, who haven't commented the case in the 4 days since it was opened. At this point I feel like I've learned enough about the quality of Netgear's products and customer support to seek a solution from another vendor. YMMV.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7