Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

JMU1998
Luminary

Has the firmware been pulled because a new Beta Firmware coming soon?

Message 251 of 809
Stev3D
Luminary

The Advanced  -> Administration -> Firmware Update page told me that v2.1.4.16 was available, so  I let it update my RBKR50 and RBKS50.  Now several things are happening:

1) The satellite thinks it's connected as it should be, but the Web interface shows the satellite as just another connnected device, the number of connected satellites is listed as zero, and the attached devices list says that everything is attached via the router (when half of them should be connected via the satellite.

2) The Orbi iOS app indicates that my Orbi is not supported by the app -- except that sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.  

Yes, I've tried power-cycling both, done the sync button dance, and tried the Web interface for adding a new satellite.  In every case, I get the blue ring indicating a good connection.  It's just that the logic in the router somehow refuses to recognize the satellite.  This flaw is infuriating (it should just work).

Should I "downgrade" the firmware back to v2.1.4.10 ?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 252 of 809
loomis1975
Luminary

Firmware must be production because they are pushing it through auto update.

As for the most recent post, I recommend you just leave it alone for awhile powered on and give it time to sort itself, that is if all sats showed blue before turning lights off and router has no light. Sorry, but the time in my experience is indeterminate.
Message 253 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

That's silly. Do you work for Netgear?

The fix is to let our router sit idle for 24 hours every time we reset to let it work right?
Message 254 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

Who would like to join a class action lawsuit against Netgear?

** Netgear if you shut this down you are in violation of numeruous US and EU laws **
Message 255 of 809
Stev3D
Luminary

I've had to shut down my satellite becaue any device connecting to it has no connectivity to anything but other clients of the satellite -- in short, the backhaul is non-functional.

Message 256 of 809
loomis1975
Luminary

@e1superman wrote:
That's silly. Do you work for Netgear?

The fix is to let our router sit idle for 24 hours every time we reset to let it work right?

No, I don't work for Netgear.  This is a community forum, not tech support.  You do know that Netgear has no responsibility to reply or even read these forums if they want to be difficult right?

Who said anything about letting a router sit idle for any period of time, or mention a certain time frame?  Inordinate doesn't mean 24 hours.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I didn't get any hints from the poster that actual network connectivity or internet access wasn't working for any clients, just that the diagnostics was all hosed.  I meant to imply to ignore the diagnostics as long as the internet is working and check back in to see if the diagnostics are reporting correctly after an INORDINATE amount of time.  I've seen the diagnostics synch up with reality in as little as 30 minutes, but as long as 3 hours.

I really feel for everyone having trouble with the crappy firmware implementations, especially those stuck outside of return windows and after the support window has closed.

I have no idea why the Orbi works very well for some and absolutely the worst network experience EVER for others.  I use it as a Router on my own Netgear cable modem, wireless backhaul on, using daisy chain, with 2.4 ghz transmit power turned down to 75 percent, all the bells and whistles on, assign static LAN addresses outside of the DHCP range for the satellites.

Message 257 of 809
loomis1975
Luminary

@Stev3D wrote:

I've had to shut down my satellite becaue any device connecting to it has no connectivity to anything but other clients of the satellite -- in short, the backhaul is non-functional.

I think you may have tried this already, or you might think it isn't necessary, but you could move the satellite to the same room as the router, but NOT within 3 feet of it and power it back up and see if the backhaul is working.  If it still is not working, I would try the next step, or just skip to the next suggestion if you feel that moving it isn't a suitable test.  Another thing to try is to give the satellite a static IP address on the LAN.  I like to give all my satellites a static IP address outside the DHCP range, but that might be overkill.  I know this is a moot point if you can't seem to talk to the satellite through the router, but if you can access the satellite via its IP address or can see it listed on the connected devices page (whether it shows it as a satellite or just a connected device) its worth a shot.  After giving it a static IP, I would reboot the router, and then reboot the problematic satellite(s).  As you have already done way too many times before, wait for the satellite(s) to show a blue color and then test again.

If that doesn't work, I'd open a support ticket, or just return the things, if either of those options are still free/available to you.  If they aren't I'd try the dreaded master reset on all units after the latest firmware is loaded (cause its just going to auto update back to it anyways if you revert), setup the master and satellite(s) in the same room, and try my suggestion about the static IPs again, power off, put them in their proper places and power back up.

Message 258 of 809
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Case850 wrote:

@cheshbr wrote:

I’m running v2.1.4.16 with a wired backhaul I have a number of iDevicesall, some Wemo globes and a switch, an Echo Dot, a Google Home, a couple of TP-Link Kasa switches, and five Lifx globes, all of which connect and stay connected flawlessly.  Until ‘16, I was having occasional issues with Lifx and HomeKit, but since upgrading to ‘16, none whatsoever.  

Now Netgear, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Try running your Orbi in Router mode and not a Access Point mode......then post back.

You are an Orbi Tester and you don't run your own Orbi in Router mode. So what good is your testing?  To the rest, the Orbi is still broken.

Apple supports 802.11k, 802.11r, 802.11v. What does the Orbi support?

You could have a read through this, it's probably closer to what is actually happening than what might be claimed.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33196-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...

Message 259 of 809
radamo
Apprentice

what a fun Father's Day... it seemed my previously ROCK SOLID Orbi decided to get really flaky on 2.1.4.10.  Could not keep a connection to my audio system to control music in my yard (normally a VERY SIMPLE task).  Connection kept dropping.  When I checked the orbi status on my computer it showed that an update was available to 2.1.4.16.   I thought maybe the Orbi was flaky due to the update causing the device to stutter for some reason.  So I went ahead an updated it.  WOW... the next 2 hours were spent fiddling with wires and power switches trying to get my network back.  WHAT A FUN DAY!!!

I can't wait to go home and see what awaits... I have already been texted by my wife that one of the DirecTV receivers is offline.  

Message 260 of 809
tsig
Luminary

Saw in the Orbi app on Saturday that the new update was available.  Updated the router, it rebooted, no drama.  Then satellite #1, reboot, no drama.  Satellite #2, reboot, no drama.  Working like a champ.

That is until my Fios ONT decided to take a dump Sunday morning, but don't think even the biggest snowflakes on this forum can blame Orbi for that one.

Message 261 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@Stev3D did this issue go away on its own? I have exact same issue 

Message 262 of 809
Stev3D
Luminary

@loomis1975, great suggestions [see #270 in this thread], but that wasn't enough.  But it did get me thinking... The satellite had forgotten how to be a satellite, or the router forgot what its satellite looked like.  So I did two things:  I told the router to "Disconnect" the satellite it wasn't able to find, and I did a full reset (paperclip in recessed hole/button).  After that, I introduced them ("Add a Satellite") as if for the first time -- and it worked.  Many thanks.

Message 263 of 809
jesseasi
Star

Updating some previous posts about how nothing worked for me after the update.  

I have got things running again.  Bottom line - I had to remove all wires from my satellites.  No more wired backhaul.  Surprisingly when everything is wireless - seems to work pretty good.  Even my outdoor Orbi which is daisy chained.

So if you have wired backhaul and you can't get anything working.  Here is what I did.

Power everything off.

Remove all wired backhaul network cables.

Power on Router

Power on each Satellite one at a time - wait until it is working perfectly before powering on the next satellite.

I was able to make it through Father's Day without any issues.  All 4 of my sonos connect amps which are located pretty far away in a pool storage room worked flawlessly.  

Alais - today will be my last day with Orbi.  After my total frustration with the updates - I decided I am done.  I will be switching to a Unifi system.

If anyone is interested.  I have 1x Orbi RBK50 Router, 3x Orbi RBS50 Satellites, 1x RBS50Y Outdoor Satellite.

I will be selling it all.  

Message 264 of 809
Stev3D
Luminary

IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION TO MY POST:  I did the full reset on the satellite (not the router).

Message 265 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Is netgear working on a beta Firmware to address this?  We should not have to paper clip reset take wires out move to room with main unit all this nonsense why can one Netgear device talk to another Netgear device on same network? I did not pay $400 to use paperclip to poke it everytime I lose power reminds me early 1900's cars needing a hand crank to turn the engine to start come on Netgear this is 2018 and we are expected to use paperclips to "hand crank" your equipment ??

Message 266 of 809
Wiler
Aspirant

I have only had my orbi for 4 days and it going back. I have an IT background so setting up this sort of network kit is usually straightforward for me. The VPN (using OpenVPN) is terrible, my previous Asus router supported it out of the box. I keep getting dropouts through the day on both router and satellite and all the messing around post updates, particularly this update...straw that broke the camels back. I wish I had read the forums before I bought...seems this is pretty normal for Netgear.

Message 267 of 809
protojah
Aspirant

So I took the plunge and manually updated to 2.1.4.16.  In my environment - the wired backhaul issue seems to be fixed. I "stress tested" by pulling the plug and restarting. To my amazement all the satellites reconnected in 5 minutes, and the network didn't go to pot. I will continue to test this periodically to see if it holds up after weeks of use.

However, what has returned is the annoying issue of losing connectivity every 48 hours.  Like clockwork. At least I can use the app to reboot, should I not home.

Hopefully one day they will get it all right.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 268 of 809
nicholb
Luminary

Saw *.16 was available for auto update Sunday and initiated the update. I've had no problem since I got these in January (other than 1 week of Google's issue causing reboots) and they are still working fine after the update. I have only one satellite and wireless backhaul, running in router mode with all the options on. 

Hard to say why some systems work fine and others are having so many issue. 

Message 269 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll add to this.

I recommneded an orbi system to my buddy after he tested mine out on loan and like it. He bought the RBK50 from Costco. I went over yesterday and got it set up.

I did the manual set up instead auto setup wizard.

I changed the following first on the router:

Changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1 for his needs.

Changing IP address pool to 192.168.0.100 to.200.

Set static DNS for 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9

MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming are disabled on the router.

Auto 2.4Ghz and manual 48 on 5Ghz.

Left the SSID default for now.

Rebooted router.

The system came loaded with old 2nd release version of 1.0.something. I new I needed to update and update the RBS50 first. I downloaded the lasted v14 version as I saw the v16 links were broke. The RBS seem to power on and connect to the default SSID name and PW as it showed up with an IP address which I was able to access. The RBS50 would not take the v.14 FW update for some reason. Thinking that maybe the v14 is too new, I chose an intermediate FW version, v2.0.0.74. This version installed and was excepted by the satellite. I did the same for the router as they need to be kept on the same version. After this I manually upgraded to v14. RBS50 first then RBR50. After doing this, the RBR50 saw v.16 was available for both RBR and RBS. I let the routers FW GUI do the upgrade for both. Upgraded to v.16 successful for both. Seems to be hassle to get the satellite and router upgraded to most current if out of the box version is really old. No ERASE used for all of this.

I then changed the SSID and PW to the final name on the router. Re-added the satellite to the new SSID and PW.

After satellite was wireless re-connected BLUE. I used the inbox LAN cable to get the satellite wired back haul connected. After about 5 minutes, the BLUE led on top came on. I rebooted the satellite and router to check for reconnect. Satellite was BLUE after reboot. Setup a IP address reservation for satellite on the router.

I powered OFF the satellite and took up up stairs to it's final remote location with LAN cable. Connected everything up. Got BLUE led on top and PC that was connected to it has internet.

I didn't set up the 2nd satellite as we think it may not be needed. We'll see. I had wireless internet out at my car before I left. That was about 30-40 feet from either his satellite or router that was in back of the garage.

Buddy says internet and everything running will today. Will keep me posted on any issues.

Message 270 of 809
olf
Star
Star

I think its getting to the point that if you hate someone and they need a wireless router, to get back at them to get even, recommend a orbi enthusiastically.
Message 271 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I was hestient on recommending however having luck with mine we figured we'd try it out. He's got a return policy so if something happens, he can return it.

Message 272 of 809
Site
Tutor

Will Netgear provide a refund for my orbi?  After 6 months of waiting for a stable system; the longest I have gone without losting internet is about a week.  Now, with the latest firmware I can't go more than 24-36 hours without having to reboot the system.

When it works its amazing.  I am getting over 400mb/s across my house.  The WIFI itself never goes down; but it always loses connection to the internet requiring a reboot.  My wired computers work fine so it is definitely the orbi. 

My orbi is set-up as simply as possible - as an AP with a static IP.  

At this point, I just want my money back.  I was patient for 6 months. My family calls me daily about having no internet - and keeps falling back to our cell phones costing us a fortune in cellular data.  Any recommendations for a reliable high-performance mesh network replacement?   I was thinking of trying Asus AIMesh with a bunch of asus routers as they were rock-solid routers in my previous house (before I needed a mesh)

Message 273 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG phone support or a forum moderator to help you. Nothing regarding any refunds are dealt with here in the forums. Forums are for help, information and troubleshooting for users and there products.

What is the Mfr and model if your ISP modem?

DSL, cable or Fiber?

Bypasst he Orbi system with a PC connected to the ISP modem and test to see if anything happens?

Any wireless neghbors near by? if so, how many?

@Site wrote:

Will Netgear provide a refund for my orbi?  After 6 months of waiting for a stable system; the longest I have gone without losting internet is about a week.  Now, with the latest firmware I can't go more than 24-36 hours without having to reboot the system.

When it works its amazing.  I am getting over 400mb/s across my house.  The WIFI itself never goes down; but it always loses connection to the internet requiring a reboot.  My wired computers work fine so it is definitely the orbi. 

My orbi is set-up as simply as possible - as an AP with a static IP.  

At this point, I just want my money back.  I was patient for 6 months. My family calls me daily about having no internet - and keeps falling back to our cell phones costing us a fortune in cellular data.  Any recommendations for a reliable high-performance mesh network replacement?   I was thinking of trying Asus AIMesh with a bunch of asus routers as they were rock-solid routers in my previous house (before I needed a mesh)

Message 274 of 809
Site
Tutor

It's the Orbi.  I have worked on internet tech for 20+ years.  

But for the sake of answering; I am using a motorola mb8600 modem attached to gigabit comcast ethernet.  modem is in bridge mode.  The modem is routed through a pfsense box that is attached into a gigabit switch; the orbi is attached into the same gigabit switch.   A windows domain controller provides dhcp for the house; and the orbi is set to a reserved address; all routing information is correctly specified.  The internet has never failed when the orbi loses connection - I often would VPN into the house just to remotely reboot the router (now my family has the app to do it).  I have an old basic wifi router also in AP mode that only reaches one room and is slow; but has never failed every time the orbi has failed.  The wifi radios on the orbi including through the satellites are working fine even when it can't connect to the internet. - I can always connect to the orbi via a wifi connected device (regardless of whether the device are connected to the main hub or any satellite) or from within the house via a wired connection.  About once every day or so; all wireless devices through the orbi lose access to the internet. The app always states the internet is offline; the orbi web interface always claims its online (whether the internet works or not).  Rebooting it always corrects the issue.  I am running the latest firmware but have never had a stable system (previous firmware went about a week before starting to frequently fail).  We are streaming more as we go into the summer so its possible the orbi can't handle traffic load.

At this point; I just need a reliable system and am curious what people have replaced their orbi with.   

Message 275 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7