Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Named DNS with dynamic IP address - Orbi

JGold
Tutor

Named DNS with dynamic IP address - Orbi

I'm using the Orbi running firmware version 2.3.5.30.

I'm trying to set up my router to use a specific DNS server (OpenDNS), not automatically provided by my ISP. In the admin interface, the "Use These DNS Servers" is grayed out and not selectable unless I set the IP adress to "Use Static IP Address" first. 

I want to use the dynamic IP address provided by my ISP. I don't have a static IP address.  If I select the static option in order to use OpenDNS, my networking breaks every time my IP lease expires and the ISP issues a new IP address.  Fixable, but super inconvenient.

This has not always been the case, because I've been using OpenDNS for years, including with the Orbi router.  It appears to have changed with a recent firmware update.

Does anyone know how I can set the router to dynamic IP address, and specific named DNS?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JGold
Tutor

Re: Named DNS with dynamic IP address - Orbi

Problem solved.

You need to disable Circle (Advanced->Security->Parental Controls).  Then you can set your specific DNS with automatic IP address. Once that's set up, you can go back and re-enable Cicle.  The DNS / IP settings will remain.  I don't know why Cicle would force that interaction, but the resolution is easy.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JGold
Tutor

Problem solved.

You need to disable Circle (Advanced->Security->Parental Controls).  Then you can set your specific DNS with automatic IP address. Once that's set up, you can go back and re-enable Cicle.  The DNS / IP settings will remain.  I don't know why Cicle would force that interaction, but the resolution is easy.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Thank you. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7