Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not reaching full internet speed - RBR20

tmbslce
Aspirant

Not reaching full internet speed - RBR20

First post, so hopefully someone can help.  I have recently moved into a smaller house.  We had tech support help us set up the custom Orbi settings the first time around, but now we have moved, I cannot seem to get the full network speed with my Orbi system.  We have 1GB service, which the Orbi network speed test shows I am getting almost all of it.  The Rogers modem, when in router mode, can deliver close to 1GB speed on the main floor.  Orbi won't return more than 400MB even when the device is sitting next to the main router.

We have the Router plugged into our Rogers modem (in bridge mode) and the satelitte is probably about 25 feet away on another level.  I have seen you are supposed to have 30ft distance, but based on the location of where the router has to be, I am not sure that is possible.  Is that interfering with our speed?

I have upgraded to latest firmware, I have played around with the settings based off support forums that I have read here.  Currently running:

Enabled Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO and WMM.

Daisy Chain - Disabled
Fast Roaming - Disabled
Armor - Disabeld
Disabled IPv6

Enabled 20/40Mhz Coexistence
Logs - Unticked logging of DoS attacks and Port scans
Channel 1 for 2.4 Ghz and Channel 36 for 5Ghz
Guest Network - Disabled

Can someone help me troubleshoot??

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Not reaching full internet speed - RBR20

Most 5Ghz AC wifi devices will not ever see anything near 900Mpbs. Wired yes. 

Due to hardward design and support, this limits the wifi connection speeds seen on 5Ghz AC. Most will max out at around 400-500Mpbs. 

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Message 2 of 18
tmbslce
Aspirant

When this was setup at my previous residence, it was reaching 700GB or so speed. Here I’m lucky if I get 200GB most of the time. It’s also unstable. Any recommendations to maximize whatever performance it can give?
Message 3 of 18
vajim
Master

did you have 1GB service in your previous residence?  how were the speed there?

each to his/her own but I'm not a fan of running 2 routers in the same network

Message 4 of 18
tmbslce
Aspirant

I actually had 600GB service, that almost always provided closer to 700GB.  So the Orbi was very effective.  

To clarify, I don't run 2 routers.  The Orbi router has to be plugged into the ISP modem, and then I have a satellite ~25ft away.

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What WiFi devices are you using to speed test with? 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@tmbslce wrote:
When this was setup at my previous residence, it was reaching 700GB or so speed. Here I’m lucky if I get 200GB most of the time. It’s also unstable. Any recommendations to maximize whatever performance it can give?

Message 6 of 18
vajim
Master

@tmbslce wrote:

I actually had 600GB service, that almost always provided closer to 700GB.  So the Orbi was very effective.  

To clarify, I don't run 2 routers.  The Orbi router has to be plugged into the ISP modem, and then I have a satellite ~25ft away.

tell us about your modem?

Message 7 of 18
tmbslce
Aspirant

The ISP (Rogers) use the Gateway modem.  I pulled the specs from my modem login:

System Hardware

Model:CGM4140COM
Vendor:Technicolor
Hardware Revision:2.2
Serial Number:2133060484112458
Processor Speed:1503 MHz
DRAM Total Memory:1024 MB
DRAM Used Memory:638 MB
DRAM Available Memory:386 MB
Flash Total Memory:2048 MB
Flash Used Memory:162 MB
Flash Available Memory:1886 MB
Message 8 of 18
vajim
Master

I believe your modem has a built in router already.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 9 of 18
tmbslce
Aspirant

I currently have the Gateway modem in bridge mode and connected to the Orbi.  The Orbi is in router mode.  Is there a speed or stability benefit to having the Orbi in AP mode rather than router mode in this setup?

Message 10 of 18
vajim
Master

@tmbslce wrote:

I currently have the Gateway modem in bridge mode and connected to the Orbi.  The Orbi is in router mode.  Is there a speed or stability benefit to having the Orbi in AP mode rather than router mode in this setup?

i can't help you with the different modes, perhaps this will:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Router-vs-AP-mode/td-p/1730798#:~:text=If%20that%20is%20your%2....

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Circle enabled on the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

Definately try AP mode with the RBR and the modem in router mode. 

@tmbslce wrote:

Message 12 of 18
vajim
Master

Message 11 of 12
Message 13 of 18
tmbslce
Aspirant

I have been using my M1 Macbook Pro and iPhone 11Pro.  Circle is disabled, and I have completed a factory reset and brand new setup which did not help unfortunately.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Circle enabled on the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

I have not tried this yet, so will give it a go and see how it works.

Definately try AP mode with the RBR and the modem in router mode. 

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Check your connection rates with WiFi sweetspots for the iphone. 

On Mac Book, Hold Opt button then right click on the wifi icon to see details about the connection. Rate should be displayed. 

iOhone is only 2x2 so you'll not see much over 400-500Mb. 

My Mac Book 2018 just under 500Mpbs connected at 866Mbs rate wiich is max on Orbi AC 5Ghz. Just tested my iphone 12 Max just tested 500Mpbs at 640Mpbs rate with that wifisweet spots app. My Mac Book does 700Mbps on a AX system since it can connect at 1300Mpbs. Iphone is still about the same on a AX system due ot the 2x2 antenna design. 4x4 or higher is needed to achieve higher speeds beyong 500Mpbs. 

Message 15 of 18
tmbslce
Aspirant

Thanks for the support.  I moved the router and satellite as far as away from each as the logistics of the house would permit, and that seems to have improved speed and consistency.  Getting around 450mbps and no patchiness.  I am still having issues with my sons PS5, with the connection tests only clocking ~45mbps when it is only metres from the router.  I am not sure if that is Playstation issue though.

Message 16 of 18
vajim
Master

@tmbslce wrote:

Thanks for the support.  I moved the router and satellite as far as away from each as the logistics of the house would permit, and that seems to have improved speed and consistency.  Getting around 450mbps and no patchiness.  I am still having issues with my sons PS5, with the connection tests only clocking ~45mbps when it is only metres from the router.  I am not sure if that is Playstation issue though.

glad to hear you're seeing some improvement.

I believe the recommended distance between the router and sats is 30 feet

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Cna you wire connect the PS5 to the RBR or an RBS? 

@tmbslce wrote:

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7