Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR50 wont connect to internet

cnhbrown
Aspirant

ORBI RBR50 wont connect to internet

hi everyone, 

I bought the AC3000 model yesterday in the hope it would sort out my wifi coverage in the house (too many deadzones!). Before purchasing I did a bit of research and like the idea of "plug n play" as the advertising suggests. So far that simply doesnt appear to be true at all.

I have a cable modem (Virgin Superhub 3) thats the only current AP in the house. Having read the setup instructions I had synced the orbi router and satellite, and also set the superhub to modem mode (after a number of fails I tried all this with router in "no wifi mode as well", so time to open the orbi app and set up the network. The app suggests that the Orbi cannot connect to the internet. Suggests to restart the model (done, no effect), or my provider might require a different WAN type (dont know what this would be).

I accessed my superhub to have a look at what ethernet connections it was recognising and couldnt find the ORBI at all. It was only detecting my laptop as a connection. I checked the lights on the ORBI and the routers ethernet end and both appear green so I would say there is a connection there. 

I understand that the virginhubs when set to modem mode can be fickle with regards to which ethernet port you use, so I disconnected everything and only had the ORBI cable in port 4. Still no connection. I then restarted the modem with my laptop connected to the same port 4, when the modem restarted my laptop had the network immediately. 

I attempted to access orbilogin by connecting my laptop to the ORBI, but no surprise this didnt work. The page wouldnt render at all, but assume this was because the ORBI wasnt receiving any network. 

Totally run out of ideas at this stage so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: ORBI RBR50 wont connect to internet

Did it ever start working for you? have you tried the orbi in ap mode and your modem as the router?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
cnhbrown
Aspirant

Re: ORBI RBR50 wont connect to internet

Hi DarrenM

Yes I got it working in the end. 

I ended up connecting directly to the Orbi router via network cable while Orbi connected to VM router (i.e. i connected to ethernet port while orbi connected to router via the internet slot). Once I logged on to the router it ran a check for firmware, updated itself, updated its satellite, and started working.

I disconnected everything again and restarted all items (VM router and Orbi) and once it all started up the connection was good. 

No issues since then. 

So as mentioned in my first post, this isnt plug and play if you get units with old firmware. 

Now that they are working I am pretty impressed with the product, so no complaints there. Wifi area expanded so no more dead zones, and definitely improved speeds (VM SH3 is rubbish so not surprised). I did a speed test connected durectly to the Orbi and got great speed as expected. Then did a test on wifi and it wasnt throttled that much.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7