Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Offline with Orbi RBR40 but still have very slow internet

GeoV
Tutor

Offline with Orbi RBR40 but still have very slow internet

The Orbi worked great for about 6-7 months, but lately nothing but problems. First the satellites kept disconnecting. Finally, I started from scratch by resetting everything to new. Now the satellites look like they are connected and the RBR40 shows offline. I have spent more time on this than I should. Next step is throwing it in the trash and getting on social media.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Offline with Orbi RBR40 but still have very slow internet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Power OFF the ISP Modem for 30 seconds then back on? 

Where is it showeing off line? RBRs web page or Orbi app? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Not sure what getting on social media will do for you. 

Message 2 of 8
GeoV
Tutor

Social media will help me tell others the poor support you get from Orbi and they do not last long.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Power OFF the ISP Modem for 30 seconds then back on? 

Where is it showeing off line? RBRs web page or Orbi app? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Not sure what getting on social media will do for you. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Though some may catagorize this forum as social media, it's actually a tech support forum. Experienced users are here to help those user with problems and questions as best as we can. We volunteer here on our own accord. Were not employees. It's completely up to users to take advise from users here in the forums or not. If users choose NOT to then thats up to users. NG offers more direct online and phone support for those that have it available to them. 

We've found that support here in the forums lasts longer than email or phone support. However, forum support is not unlimited. We can only help and troubleshoot to a point. If and when thats all exhausted, then users have to contact NG support to continue the pursuit of a resolution as if the problem is a hard ware problem, or there is a user account problem, then the forums can't help with that and needs to be addressed by NG support. 

Social media should not be used for technical support issues IMO. Tech support forums are for that and do work. Users have to be willing to listen and take the advise and suggestions and work with forum users to come to a solution for there problems which MOST of the time, happens here in the forums. 

"Can lead a horse to water, can't make it drink!"

Good Luck in your endeavours and have a nice day. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 8
GeoV
Tutor

I might be the horse, but the lack of support is a jackass. I have done what has been stated in this chat numerous times. I read other posts and tried different things before I decided to get into the community. I am in the technical field, particularly broadcast over IP, so I am not necessarily that handicap. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Though some may catagorize this forum as social media, it's actually a tech support forum. Experienced users are here to help those user with problems and questions as best as we can. We volunteer here on our own accord. Were not employees. It's completely up to users to take advise from users here in the forums or not. If users choose NOT to then thats up to users. NG offers more direct online and phone support for those that have it available to them. 

We've found that support here in the forums lasts longer than email or phone support. However, forum support is not unlimited. We can only help and troubleshoot to a point. If and when thats all exhausted, then users have to contact NG support to continue the pursuit of a resolution as if the problem is a hard ware problem, or there is a user account problem, then the forums can't help with that and needs to be addressed by NG support. 

Social media should not be used for technical support issues IMO. Tech support forums are for that and do work. Users have to be willing to listen and take the advise and suggestions and work with forum users to come to a solution for there problems which MOST of the time, happens here in the forums. 

"Can lead a horse to water, can't make it drink!"

Good Luck in your endeavours and have a nice day. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 8
GeoV
Tutor

And by the way, I appreciate people volunteering for this. And unlike the company I work for, sometimes our support and professional services jump and assist the community chats.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Well all I can say is if you have exhausted all troubleshooting and tryied everything, then it's time to contact NG support via email or phone and see what your options are. Seems like forum help and info won't be of any more help to you. Need to find direct solutions with NG support. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can also contact a forum moderator to see what they can do for you.

@Blanca_O 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7