Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Mini and Samsung TV connection issues

houtex62
Aspirant

Orbi Mini and Samsung TV connection issues

I recently installed the Orbi Mini in my home and for the post part it works well.  But I'm having an issue connecting my Samsung smart TVs.  They will not connect to my main Orbi wireless network SSID, but they DO connect to my guest wifi SSID. I reviewed the settings and the guest network is set up with WPA-PSK  + WPA2-PSK security and the main network is WPA2-PSK.  When I set up both the main network and the guest network I do not recall choosing any security options except to assign passwords.  Should the security protocol matter?  I have no problems connecting my iPad and iPhones to the main network so I know it works.  I'm not sure I care that the Samsungs will only connect to the guest SSID, but it is strange that they work with the guest SSID, but not the main SSID.  And my Orbi is set as a router, not an AP, if that matters.  Any ideas?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi Mini and Samsung TV connection issues

I assume you have told your TV's to forget their previous network. For good measure, after you have told your TV's to forget their network hook up, reboot the TV's (power plug pull, 30 sec, plug in) and then in Orbi disable the guest network or at least disable the SSID broadcast.

Go through the internet set up again with your Samsung TV's (you may have to refresh the Samsung host server). 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the TVs are connecting using the older WPA-PSK setting rather then the more secure WPA2-PSK. Try setting WPA-PSK on the main and test. Then try WPA2 and AES only. Have the TVs for get the SSID profile in there settings then try to re-connect. 

Is Beamforming and Fast Roaming enabled? Try disabling Fast Roaming and Beamforming with WPA2 and AES only set. 

@houtex62 wrote:

I recently installed the Orbi Mini in my home and for the post part it works well.  But I'm having an issue connecting my Samsung smart TVs.  They will not connect to my main Orbi wireless network SSID, but they DO connect to my guest wifi SSID. I reviewed the settings and the guest network is set up with WPA-PSK  + WPA2-PSK security and the main network is WPA2-PSK.  When I set up both the main network and the guest network I do not recall choosing any security options except to assign passwords.  Should the security protocol matter?  I have no problems connecting my iPad and iPhones to the main network so I know it works.  I'm not sure I care that the Samsungs will only connect to the guest SSID, but it is strange that they work with the guest SSID, but not the main SSID.  And my Orbi is set as a router, not an AP, if that matters.  Any ideas?

Message 3 of 7
houtex62
Aspirant

JoeC and Furry, thanks.  I will try those this evening.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
houtex62
Aspirant

UPDATE:  I tried to connect again and this time it connected with no issues.  My old wifi network does not show up on the Samsung TV so there does not appear to be a way for the TV to forget it. I did not mention in my original post that I also recently upgraded my xfinity service to 1G and I disabled the wifi on the new xfinity modem.  So the old wifi SSID does not appear and neither does the new one (because it is disabled).  So the only SSIDs that my TVs can see are the new main orbi and orbi guest SSIDs.

I checked my settings and the Beamforming and Fast Roaming are not enabled.  I left them disabled.  If it happens again I will report back.  Thanks for your replies.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

At some point, try enabling Beamforming to see if this changes anything.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7