Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 has wifi connection, but no internet on iphones only.

Ranba
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 has wifi connection, but no internet on iphones only.

Noticed this weekend that I was not getting connection to the internet with my Orbi wifi on my iPhone.  Husband is having the same issue.  My personal computer is working with certain websites (those that are in cache or bookmarked).    However, my work computer is not having any issue whatsoever.  

I have spent the day troubleshooting this to the point of resetting everything to factory default.  Problem is still persisting.  The app on the phone shows the router, shows that internet is "online", but can not connect to the router.  I have reset the network settings on the phone.  Problem still persists.  

I've gone through all the support discussions and checked all the settings on the router.  They all seem to be fine (i.le.set to the recommended settings).  Have tried updating the router firmware, but it doesn't connect to the host.  Not sure if this is a netgear issue.  

Connection is with a Comcast router (which again is working fine and provides it's own network - not having any issues), which connects to the Orbi router via Cat 5 ethernet cable (NOTE:  the internet will only stay up if the cable is in the Ethernet connection on the Orbi, NOT the internet connection) and 2 satellites. 

Any thoughts/assistance are greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 has wifi connection, but no internet on iphones only.

What xfnity modem/router is it connected to? 

In terms of the iphones, make sure icloud relay and private mac/ip address are disabled

Message 2 of 4
Ranba
Aspirant

Comcast modem/router model name XB3.
Private address is off
iCloud relay is off

No change.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

The comcast device is a modem/router combo device. 

It can cause a double nat and issues. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7