Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi (RBR40) getting different speeds than modem

jamescosta
Aspirant

Orbi (RBR40) getting different speeds than modem

Hi there!

My current setup is:

Cable internet (800mbps down, 30mbps up) -> modem -> RBR40 -> 3 satellites around the house

When I check speeds (via Ethernet) at the modem level, I’m getting 800mbps down. When I check speeds my RBR40 is getting from the modem, I’m getting 250mbps.

I’ve tried a few different Ethernet cables between the modem and RBR40 without any change.

Any idea why? I thought the RBR40 could handle gigabit?

Thanks for your help!

James
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi (RBR40) getting different speeds than modem

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

When you testing with the RBR in the mix, are you speed testing with a PC and a speedtest app on the PC or speed testing with the speedtest app on the RBRs web page?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed with out enableing QoS/Speedtest, Traffic Meter and Any access controls on the RBR?

FYI: @Blanca_O 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

@jamescosta wrote:
Hi there!

My current setup is:

Cable internet (800mbps down, 30mbps up) -> modem -> RBR40 -> 3 satellites around the house

When I check speeds (via Ethernet) at the modem level, I’m getting 800mbps down. When I check speeds my RBR40 is getting from the modem, I’m getting 250mbps.

I’ve tried a few different Ethernet cables between the modem and RBR40 without any change.

Any idea why? I thought the RBR40 could handle gigabit?

Thanks for your help!

James

Message 2 of 10
jamescosta
Aspirant

Great call and thanks for the response, @FURRYe38!

My ISP modem is a Hitron CODA-4582. The FW version I have on my RBR40 is 2.3.1.58 (notably, when I try and "Check for updates" via the iOS app I get an error). The speed numbers I quoted before were from the speed test in the iOS Orbi app. I haven't done a factory reset at all and am trying to see if it's something else before I do (I have a RBR50 I was going to swap the RBR40 out for anyway so will end up doing it at that point).

When I hardwire into my RBR40 (ethernet to my MBP) and use Speedtest's desktop app, I get 700mbps down (Fast.com gives me 770mbps down). When I do the same thing into my ISP's modem/switch, I get 930mbps down (Speedtest desktop, Fast.com gives me 1.1gbps).

Sitting beside the RBR40 and using my iPhone on wireless, I get 200mbps down (Speedtest iOS app, 320mbps on Fast.com). Seems like a pretty massive discrepancy? I recently upgraded my Internet speed to gigabit from 200mbps and before was getting 200mbps down without fail... is there a throttling (or something) that happens above that?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Always use the stand alone speed test app from Ookla. Don't use the Orbi app or the RBRs speed test. These two don't give accurate speed results. 

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch with out enabling the built in speed test on the RBR, traffic meter or any access controls. Speed test with a wired PC directly connected to the RBR. 

Wifi will have different results. Wired is preferred testing initalially. 

Message 4 of 10
jamescosta
Aspirant

Thanks again @FURRYe38! Sorry for the delayed reply, weekends are always easier to find time to dedicate to this. (If you're ever in Toronto, beer is on me!)

I swapped out by RBR40 for an RBR50, updated a bunch of firmware, and I'm presently getting 830mbps+ down (via Speedtest's desktop Mac app, Fast.com is giving me 1.2gbps) when hardwired.

When I connect via wireless (sitting beside and connected to the RBR50), I'm taking a pretty decent hit (but it's hard to say what's "normal" so I'd love your thoughts): 530mbps down (Speedtest's iOS app, Fast.com is giving me 520mbps down). Any ideas, or is this expected?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use wifi sweetspots spp on there mobile devices to see what connection rate there devices connection at the Orbi. Remember, this is only a connection rate between the device and the Orbi. Not actual throughput data flow. Also the max rate on Orbi systems is 866Mbps. 

Data flow rates depend on client side Mfr design and support of there devices. Most current devices max out at around 400-600Mbps. New phones may be able to see near 900Mpbs...I'm not sure though. MFrs would have this information. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Mmmm Beeer. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
jamescosta
Aspirant

That's such a great app - extremely useful and will be helpful with some tweaks I want to make to where my satellites are located. It looks like I'm getting an average of 550mbps with that when I stand beside the router, and an average of 800mbps when standing beside the RBS50 (that seems strange).

I've got 3 satellites (RBR50 is on main floor): RBS50 (main floor by back window, 20ft away with a [plaster and lath] wall separating (for the backyard)), RBS40 (in the basement, directly under the router), and an RBW30 (upstairs, directly above the router). We have a pretty old house so the walls definitely hurt us a bit which is why we have so many.

I assume the difference in the throughput data flow (i.e. tests through Fast, Speedtest) and the connection rate (i.e. tests through Wi-fo Sweetspots) are primarily due to servers and ISP, then? Mainly what I'm after at this point is: is this normal, or should I be trying to tweak more?

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, turn OFF the RBS's and just connect with the RBR with the app. Still see only around 500Mbps? You should see same as RBS results at the RBR...

Message 8 of 10
jamescosta
Aspirant

Yeah, looks like the MAC addresses are misleading and I must have misread which I was connected to at each time. I don't know how it would make sense otherwise.

Just curious with placement of satellites, is there a connection rate I should be aiming for (i.e. 50% of what you're getting beside the router)? I fear this has gone off the topic of my initial post and will resolve the thread after this question! 🙂

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So are you getting to spec speeds now just with the RBR online? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Farther distances are attainable as well. I have mine at 40 feet. Others have reported 50 and 60 feet and beyond. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7