Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 / RBK50 AC3000 V2.7.4.24 Router Site Blocking Just Does Not Work?

GavOrbi
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 / RBK50 AC3000 V2.7.4.24 Router Site Blocking Just Does Not Work?

Hi,

I have an Orbi RBR50 running router firmware V2.7.4.24 with one connected satellite router.

Despite my best efforts, I cannot get it to block the websites or keywords that I specify in accordance with the router instructions when logged in as an admin user.

I am running circle parental controls also, and this does work, but I need to block the sites at router level because my son keeps creating his own MAC address and bypassing circle. I have also blocked new MAC addresses from joining the network, but he then swaps his MAC address to one of our (his parents) MAC addresses when we are sleeping (he’s a bright spark). Hence, for me to control his sleep, I must be able to block websites at router level; that’s why I chose a NETGEAR Orbi system; to have all these options as he gets cleverer. 

Can you please help (many other users will know the stress that they have from teenage children accessing content until all hours)?

Firmware is updated and I have tried rebooting, different keywords/sites, always blocked and via schedule, nothing works.

Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 / RBK50 AC3000 V2.7.4.24 Router Site Blocking Just Does Not Work?

I agree entirely. The Orbi RBR50 Block Sites feature is worthless.  It is oblivious to https connections.  Since almost every web browser is configured to prefer https over http, it no longer matters what the user enters into a web browser.  They all first search for an https version of the URL, and only search for http if they do not find https.

In this battle of wits, you have lost.  If there is no chance of reaching a mutually satisfactory agreement on the issue of internet access, the only recourse you have is to turn the entire thing off at night.  And.... if their devices have LTE access, even that will not be enough.

I remember when the dreaded "heart to heart" talk with teenagers involved sex and birth control ( and we all hoped that sex ed at school and conversations with their friends would spare us from it).  The situation with regard to the internet is MUCH more complicated.

Message 2 of 12
GavOrbi
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 / RBK50 AC3000 V2.7.4.24 Router Site Blocking Just Does Not Work?

CrimpOn - Appreciate the support; I’m not giving up.

Netgear - You advertise a feature to block websites via keywords and web addresses, but it does not work. This is false advertising. Please advise on your solution. Spending even more money an another third party website blocker is not a viable option due to MAC address spoofing (thereby hindering direct device control or fixed IP address control) as already mentioned. I expect a firmware update and fix here - if my Circle app can see and log each website and report it via an app (a service that’s paid for) why can’t my router (paid for device feature) also do this?

My son’s behaviour is terrible due to lack of sleep and managed use of the internet. Turning off internet access completely is just not an option for me. School kids need to study using PCs - libraries are not a thing these days; it’s all online. I need to work from home at times.

Your device was advertised to allow me to control the ‘routing’ of internet traffic. Please advise.

Message 3 of 12

@GavOrbi wrote:

Your device was advertised to allow me to control the ‘routing’ of internet traffic. Please advise.

You won't get very far here with that. This isn't a place where Netgear will listen.

This community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

As to this bit:

My son’s behaviour is terrible due to lack of sleep and managed use of the internet. Turning off internet access completely is just not an option for me. School kids need to study using PCs - libraries are not a thing these days; it’s all online. I need to work from home at times.

Netgear has sold its soul to the devil and will happily take money from you to protect your kids.

Which products support NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What subscription plans are available for NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Other devices support Circle:

Which NETGEAR routers support Circle Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Circle also needs a subscription.

What are the available service plans when using Circle Smart Parental Controls on my NETGEAR router?...

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using OpenDNS or NextDNS services. 

@GavOrbi wrote:

Hi,

I have an Orbi RBR50 running router firmware V2.7.4.24 with one connected satellite router.

Despite my best efforts, I cannot get it to block the websites or keywords that I specify in accordance with the router instructions when logged in as an admin user.

I am running circle parental controls also, and this does work, but I need to block the sites at router level because my son keeps creating his own MAC address and bypassing circle. I have also blocked new MAC addresses from joining the network, but he then swaps his MAC address to one of our (his parents) MAC addresses when we are sleeping (he’s a bright spark). Hence, for me to control his sleep, I must be able to block websites at router level; that’s why I chose a NETGEAR Orbi system; to have all these options as he gets cleverer. 

Can you please help (many other users will know the stress that they have from teenage children accessing content until all hours)?

Firmware is updated and I have tried rebooting, different keywords/sites, always blocked and via schedule, nothing works.

Thanks for your time.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try using OpenDNS or NextDNS services. 

A teenager who is capable of changing the MAC address to evade Block Services and Parental Controls is also capable of changing the DNS servers used by his device.

I have a suspicion that there is not a technical solution to the broader problem.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Or maybe more disciplinary solution? hehe. 😏

Message 7 of 12

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Or maybe more disciplinary solution? hehe. 😏

It often comes back to that, especially when the kids are tech savvy, sometimes more so than their parents.

Too many parents expect their inexpensive, and ageing, routers to substitute for proper parental controls.

Message 8 of 12
GavOrbi
Aspirant

Thanks all for your comments/suggestions so far.

The tech night not work or solve the problem, but the advertised features are what they are. If they don't work, then why include them? Is that false advertising (maybe partially caused by legacy features that remain in source code)? Either-way, Netgear will need to respond; I'll go directly to their customer support and report back here for the benefit of all.

Message 9 of 12
GavOrbi
Aspirant

Update for the community - Customer Support Offered:

Spoke with the team and they immediately stated that 'https' was the reason for the failed feature.

I pointed out that the user manual it came with, plus the current manual available online has no mention of this weakness.

I also told them this was a kind of false advertising; especially if they are aware of the issue and most of their products contain this now 'defunct' feature, but no readily available documentation is forthcoming about the weakness of this feature. Https has been around for years before I bought my router and many new routers are still being sold with these features included.

They responded that they are now aware of the issue with a 'kb' note on it that has been raised for higher attention to address the downfall in advice online and in in manuals.

I've also been given a customer service ref number and will be contacted shortly with an update after the matter is elevated to the next level of support.

So no quick fix, but possibly a systemic long term fix for poor customers frustrated paying for routers and annual 'Circle Parental Controls' that are vulnerable from both a simple MAC address spoofing technique and the Website Access Blocking that is useless against https (most websites).

This should force Netgear to come up with more transparency in their advertising/manuals and address the legacy features that have no place in their firmware. Hopefully that means more room for code that is actually useful. I'm happy to pay for a decent router system and  $50/year...if it actually works!

More to follow on that.....

......and yes, my son is disciplined in an open and honest way - but we know that these days, screens are like 'an instant fix' like drugs/fast food/coffee; their ubiquity is unmatched by most other useful commodities now (except for perhaps air and water!). Despite this, the technology remains evolving at a speed far quicker than we can control it in order to avoid undesired side-effects. The library and text books in my sons school are now mostly replaced by the parental requirement to provide a laptop/macbook/PC. However, I've yet to find a school that provides the required protections that should come along with that. It's like giving your kids a basket of food containing everything they need...fresh fruits, vegetables, water etc. and then adding burgers, fries, soda, heroin and cocaine all in the same basket with no barriers; what will they try? Who's responsibility is it to provide the barrier to regulate a child's use and hence sleep/mental health? That's the question. 

If you're a positive person (I like to think I am), then there's so much opportunity to remedy this. Apple has tried with 'Screentime'. Microsoft has tried with the 'Family' app. Countless companies with routers that allow you to 'route what data you'd like'? Third party apps a plenty too (with big money attached/month). Maybe it's time governments start to legislate and make this control a responsibility of the providers of the 'baskets of consumables'. 

Let's face it, if you supply sleep depriving/life threatening drugs to children, you're going to prison in most parts of the world.

If you supply a computer and internet access to a child, it's considered normal and even essential....so will the parents be going to prison one day when the guns then appear in the school or when the child flops out and turns to crime? Or somebody else? 

A long blah I know, but some food for thought. Maybe I've started something here that might get heard.

Gav

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Most router mfrs don't support blocking of keyworks to HTTPS sites. Been like this for years. Why some have resorted to using external DNS service sites to help. 

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 12

@GavOrbi wrote:

This should force Netgear to come up with more transparency in their advertising/manuals and address the legacy features that have no place in their firmware.

Some of us have been drawing attention to misleading information on "EOL" features for years.

One fairly recent victim is support for free "parental controls". In the next few months ReadyCLOUD will join the list.

There is  no place for misleading information in current advertising campaigns.

The problem is that some manuals were written a decade or more ago. It make no business sense to spend time editing every manual that refers to a dead feature.

But that does not absolve Netgear from adding warning signals to old manuals. Just slap something on the front page.

"Warning, this manual may contain references to features that Netgear no longer supports."

Keep up the good work. Maybe you will have more impact than the rest of us.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7