Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 error message fixed IP address

Pieter-NL
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 error message fixed IP address

I'm trying to assign fixed IP addresses to some of the devices connected to my Orbi RBR50 router. I'm using version V2.1.2.18 of the firmware. I think I should be able to set this up under "ADVANCED" - "Setup" - "LAN Setup" - "Address Reservation". When I click "Add" it goes to a new screen containing an "Address Reservation Table". In the table I can select the device I want to give a fixed IP address. But when I do that and I click "Add" (at the top), I keep getting this error message:  "400 Bad Request. This server does not support the operation requested by your client." Is this an error in the firmware or am I making a mistake somewhere?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 error message fixed IP address

You you guys running in this? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-rbk50-RBR50-plus-two-RBS50-cannot-set-address-reservation...

Or is this problem different? 

Are you setting up a new name with reservation? How many characters are you using when you go to set up a reservation and hit save? 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
wchp
Luminary

Steps you outlined are correct.

After you updated to 2.1.2.18 did you hard reset (paperclip) the router and satellites?

Did you manually set the system up after reset or load a backup from a prior firmware version?

Are you trying to assign an IP address that is currently in use by another device?

I personally changed the DHCP scope to 192.168.xxx.101-.179

I used DHCP reservations of .149 and .150 using the method you outlined.

I also statically assign IPs on devices themselves that are outside the DHCP scope (e.g. printers and NAS's).

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try IE11, FF or Opera and see if you get the same error message? 

@Pieter-NLwrote:

I'm trying to assign fixed IP addresses to some of the devices connected to my Orbi RBR50 router. I'm using version V2.1.2.18 of the firmware. I think I should be able to set this up under "ADVANCED" - "Setup" - "LAN Setup" - "Address Reservation". When I click "Add" it goes to a new screen containing an "Address Reservation Table". In the table I can select the device I want to give a fixed IP address. But when I do that and I click "Add" (at the top), I keep getting this error message:  "400 Bad Request. This server does not support the operation requested by your client." Is this an error in the firmware or am I making a mistake somewhere?

Message 3 of 10
Pieter-NL
Aspirant

Hi wchp, thank you for your reply. I didn't hard reset the router and the sattelite after I updated to 2.1.2.18. Should I do that? And will that not delete all my settings? I tried to assign the IP address which was given to the device by the router. I tried limiting the scope of DHCP but that didn't make a difference - I still get the same error message.

Message 4 of 10
Pieter-NL
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38, thank you for your reply. I'm using Safari (on my MacBook Pro). I just tried using Chrome but I got the same error message.

Message 5 of 10
wchp
Luminary

Hard reset on the satellites and router will delete all of your settings. Do NOT restore a backup from a previous version of firmware. 

The idea is to wipe any settings that may cause anomalies in the new version of firmware. 

Yes... it's kind of a pain but the only way you can be sure you are working with a clean slate.

I just tested adding a DHCP reservation using both the table and by manually entering the MAC, IP and Device name. on 2.1.2.18 again and both worked as expected.

Message 6 of 10
Pieter-NL
Aspirant

Thanks again for your message - really helpful. The hard reset frightens me a little because I am not too sure if I wlll be able to put all my settings back correctly... I did find out something that may or may not be relevant: the procedure works fine on other devices connected to my network (both wireleless and ethernet connected), just not with one specific device: a thermostat. Could it be that this device refuses a fixed IP address or am I making things up now?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You you guys running in this? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-rbk50-RBR50-plus-two-RBS50-cannot-set-address-reservation...

Or is this problem different? 

Are you setting up a new name with reservation? How many characters are you using when you go to set up a reservation and hit save? 

Message 8 of 10
Pieter-NL
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38, that worked for me! I checked and the name of the device was 22 characters. When I shortenend the name (under the 'Address Reservation Table' appear  three fields when you select a device from the list, the third one lets you change the name of the device) it worked fine! I also checked the names of the devices which I managed to add earlier and they were all shorter than 20 characters. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos