Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router - Verizon Fios TV and wireless set top boxes

shark2
Aspirant

Orbi Router - Verizon Fios TV and wireless set top boxes

I am a Verizon Fios customer and use Fios internet and TV. I currently have a Fios WiFi router for internet. For TV, I have a main Fios TV One box that is connected to a coaxial cable, and then i have two other wireless set-top boxes that connect to the WiFi and receive the TV signal that way. The WiFi is not strong enough to reach certain spots in my house, so I wanted to use an Orbi Mesh system to strengthen the signal. I disabled the Wifi signal on the router and connected it to the Orbi Router, then set the Orbi up as an Access Point (AP Mode) and now have a great WiFi connection throughout my house. However, the two wireless set-top boxes do not work as they are not connected to WiFi. The set-top box that is connected to the coax cable works fine. Is there a way to set up/configure my system to have the wireless set-top boxes work? Verizon IT support claims that the wireless set-top boxes only work with the Verizon router. Thank you for any help!!!
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Router - Verizon Fios TV and wireless set top boxes

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I recommend trying option #3...

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Are you using the quantum gateway? They are very specific for streaming and a PITA. 

You don't have to shut off the wifi on the verizon box. Just make sure you use a different wifi channel than what orbi is using. 

that'd allow the verizon set top boxes to use the verizon router. That might be the easiest/fastest fix the for the set top boxes. 

Message 3 of 8
shark2
Aspirant

Thanks, i think #3 is what I've already tried (disabled WiFi signal on Verizon router, and then set up Orbi in AP mode) and now the wireless TV set-top boxes are not connected to the internet because (according to Verizon IT) they can't connect to a non-Verizon router. Let me know if you are talking about doing something else though.

Is there any way to connect the wireless set-top boxes to the Orbi router in AP mode? I've read about a MoCA adapter but don't fully follow there...

@FURRYe38 

Message 4 of 8
shark2
Aspirant

@plemans 

Yes it is a Quantum Gateway router.

How do i have two wifi channels?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you set up the wifi for the same SSID name and PW on Orbi as what was used on the Verizon router?

Do your set top boxes have a ethernet connected in back of the box by chance? 

Most TV SPs only allow there HW to connect to there specific router wifi. Not sure if Verizon allows for connection to 3rd party Wifi HW. I would do a search online to see if others have been able to do so or not. 

Message 6 of 8
shark2
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

No my Orbi WiFi and Verizon WiFi have different SSID and passwords.

The wireless set top boxes have both coax and ethernet plugs (but I don't have any wires connecting the box to anything); the two wireless set top boxes are connected via Verizon Quantum Gateway Router Wifi in order to get TV. Are you suggesting hardwiring all of the cable boxes? This is an option but I've been enjoying these as wireless set-top boxes because i don't have coax cable outlets in these TV areas.

Verizon claims that the Orbi does not work with their wireless set-top boxes, but i was hoping for a non-Verizon endorsed way to connect them.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing I found with my DISH Joeys connecting to the Hopper unit, the joeys have a LAN port in back. I just happen to connect one of the Joeys to the network via Ethernet and low and behold, it connected and worked just fine. I didn't need to connect the Joey via Coax. Since then all but one Joey are ethernet connected. You might try this with one of the set up boxes to see if it would connect to the main verizon router. 

You would have to see the Orbi to the same SSID name and PW as the Verizon router to see if the remote set top boxes would connect would be a suggestion to try. Thought Verzion may have some way of inhibiting there HW from working with 3rd party WiFi devices like Orbi. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7