Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite Interferes with BlueTooth Headphones

JimiPhx
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite Interferes with BlueTooth Headphones

Every time I walk by my Satellite, while wearing my earphones connected to the phone in my pocket, the BT disconnects. 

There is a closed topic on this, with no solution. I haven't tried anything to fix it, as I don't know where to start. Sounded like changing channels on the 2.4 GHz did not help the other person.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jimi

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite Interferes with BlueTooth Headphones

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

For the most part, there probably isn't any thing that can be done, BT runs on or near same frequency and most 2.4ghz wifi routers. So distance in between will be best option. 

Message 2 of 4
JimiPhx
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I’ll give it a try!
I may end up moving the satellite too, except it’s in a location where all cables are hidden right now and moving it will look bad. So I’ll have to get creative.

Thanks,

Jimi
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@JimiPhx wrote:

Every time I walk by my Satellite, while wearing my earphones connected to the phone in my pocket, the BT disconnects. 

It might help to identify "which bluetooth" is involved. There are a bunch of bluetooth standards (1.0 through 5.2) which are supposed to be downward compatible. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth)  i.e. the headphones are a certain standard and the phone possibly at another

• How many other 2.4G "things" are nearby, such as microwaves, telephone handsets @ 2.4G, Zigbee?
  • Is it only this one pair of phone/headset that consistently disconnects, i.e. others do not?
    (I use a bluetooth headset with my phone and walk near both my router and satellite every day and never get disconnected.)
  • I agree that WiFi channel selection is not likely to address the problem, as bluetooth covers the entire 2.4G spectrum.
    This article seems to indicate that bluetooth designers went to a lot of troule to make bluetooth "tolerant":
    https://www.eetimes.com/avoiding-interference-in-the-2-4-ghz-ism-band/# 
  • I notice that my headphones beep and say "connected" when I use them.  If I disable bluetooth on the phone, there is a "beep", but the headphones say nothing.  When I turn bluetooth back on again, they say "connected" again.
    What is the symptom for your bluetooth headphones?
    When you walk away from the Orbi, do they reconnect automatically?
    (Looking to distinguish between (a) not hearing any music for a few seconds and (b) totally disconnecting.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7