Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite Redirects all web pages to own page saying "Your Connection Is not Private"

leventoz
Guide

Orbi Satellite Redirects all web pages to own page saying "Your Connection Is not Private"

Recently, out of the blue (perhaps due to an automatic upgrade?) my WiFi network originating from the the Orbi satellites stopped working. The WiFi with the Router was fine. They're all on v2.2.1.210. The issue is that, when a browser on a device connected to one of the satellites requests a web page (using Chrome), they get "Your Connection Is Not Private". This happens for all internet websites. The issue happens with Edge, too, but at least it allows you to move forward. If I do, a login prompt appears, and I can enter using my router's user and password to see the Satellite's own web page. This is the same page I see, if I try to go to the webpage using only the Satellite's local IP address.

So in other words, all internet requests are somehow being forwarded to the satellite's own page. The router, however, works fine. I'm connected to it now. I can also remote desktop to a PC connected to the satellite, so I know that the router and the satellite are in communication.

Oh, I forgot to add: BOTH satellites are on WIRED ethernet backhaul, with NO daisy-chain. 

I spent probably more than a couple of hours trying to restart and reboot the routers and the satellites to fix this. Eventually, what seemed to help was resetting both satellites (by holding down the reset button for several seconds until the green light first turns orange and then goes off). 

Does anybody know of a proper fix other than wait for another firmware update or have to reset the satellites?

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite Redirects all web pages to own page saying "Your Connection Is not Private&q

Does this happen with different all devices? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Lasty, you might try a full factory reset on orbi and satellite and setup from scratch...setup a IP address reservation for the satellite. 

Message 2 of 12
ctchan
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Satellite Redirects all web pages to own page saying "Your Connection Is not Private&q

I have the exact same problem with one of the satellite.  The backhaul keeps saying 'Config sync", and any device connected to the satellite will not connect to the internet and return an invalid page.  My other satellite is working fine.  I have not found an answer, trying may different things like reset, reconnect, downgrade/update firmware - but to no success.

I was beginning to think my satellite was defective and faulty - but see others have the same issue - which seems too coincident.  It might be related to the latest firmware..  @leventoz let me know if you find any answer.

I'm comtemplating dumping Orbi.. firmware still seems too buggy.

Message 3 of 12
leventoz
Guide

Re: Orbi Satellite Redirects all web pages to own page saying "Your Connection Is not Private&a

I agree that this stuff is too buggy, far from configure and forget. So far what has worked for me is reset both satellites by keeping the reset button down for 7 seconds. It's started working again, I guess I will have to keep doing this if the issue reoccurs until Netgear realizes there's an issue and pushes a fix. 

I would have jumped ship long ago if I knew that an alternative would be less buggy. Unfortunately, knowing how these companies all operate, I know they all suffer from the same quality problems.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite Redirects all web pages to own page saying "Your Connection Is not Private&a

Have you tried the suggestions? 

Please give feedback to questions presented. 

The FW has been working for others. 

@leventoz wrote:

I agree that this stuff is too buggy, far from configure and forget. So far what has worked for me is reset both satellites by keeping the reset button down for 7 seconds. It's started working again, I guess I will have to keep doing this if the issue reoccurs until Netgear realizes there's an issue and pushes a fix. 

I would have jumped ship long ago if I knew that an alternative would be less buggy. Unfortunately, knowing how these companies all operate, I know they all suffer from the same quality problems.

Message 5 of 12
leventoz
Guide

Thanks Furry, but "do a factory reset" is not a viable option for me. I don't want to spend my weekends trying to get around Orbi's issues. I want to put this out there: the network was working fine only unti recently (since the last time I had to reset the satellites, which was a long time ago) and then the issue started propping up. I didnot do anything to have caused this. If I'm going to have to reconfigure my network, I might as well buy Linksys and try my luck with them.

As for the suggestion of toggle daisy-chain, I can say that if a check-box does the opposite of what it says, it indicates the sad state of affairs when it comes to engineering/quality control. I didn't do this suggestion, because it doesn't make sense to me. If it works for a while, then quits working after some time, then I imagine the configuration is fine - since it *was* working for a while.

Assigning static IPs to the satellites seem like a reasonable thing to try, which I will if it stops working again. 

For the record, my router is connected directy to WebPass.net's ethernet cable that comes out of the wall. I don't have a cable modem.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I know that doing factory resets isn't fun, however it has resolved problems. There not alot fo users posting about this. So it is a last resort. If you did a reset a "Long time ago". It maybe time fore a new. There are just some few FW code that when applied over old code and user configurations do not work right until a factory reset has been performed. Sometimes even doing a manual load of FW helps as well.

I have not seen this issue since installing my Orbi and my friends Orbi. 

Yes assigning IP reservations to satellites and devices helps and is good for keeping IP addresses ON devices. 

Something to try. If you still experience problems, you'll need to contact NG support and get there help on this. Good luck. 

Message 7 of 12
leventoz
Guide

Well, thank you for taking the time to respond to my issue. It lessens the burden somewhat to see that someone cares. 

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Just trying to help out of I can. I know the Orbi has problems here and there. Just trying to see if we can get it working as I know you want it. 

I to am not a fan of the setup process. Seems to take me close to an hour, thats with knowing all that I know about routers and wifi. I can set up other systems in less than 30 minutes. Orbi can be a pain. I know. Spent many hours troubleshooting issues of my own and bug's I've found. Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 12
ctchan
Aspirant

I tried holding down the reset for even 10 seconds and re-synced it, but it still has the same issue - backhaul still stays 'Config sync'.

Has anyone found out why the RBS50 Satellite stays in Config sync and only returns the routers own page for any connected wireless device??

Message 10 of 12
leventoz
Guide

I found (or believe) that the status value the website shows for the satellites are practically unreliable. Even the wired/wireless is incorrect most of the time. It's mind boggling how broken everything is. I would forget about checking the status on the web page and do real tests with devices. If you continue to have the "your connection is not private" issue, there are some suggestions earlier in this thread that you can try.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I woud contact NG support and get some help on this. Possible that you do have a bad system and may need to replaced. 

@Blanca_O

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7