Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi assigning wrong DHCP IP Space

Orbi assigning wrong DHCP IP Space

I have an odd issue where Orbi will assign some devices the wrong IP address space. My default space is 10.0.0.x and I have some devices connected wirelessly that get assigned an ip address of 192.168.2.x. Other than assigning static IP Addresses I'm not sure how to resolve the issue.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi assigning wrong DHCP IP Space

It sounds like there are two DHCP servers at work.  Can you please explain:

• What is the Orbi router connected to (brand, model number)?
    Is it a router or "simply a modem, nothing more"?
    (Hint: if the device has only a single ethernet jack, it is probably a modem.  If it has more jacks, it is likely a router.)
  • Is the Orbi in "router" or Access Point (AP) mode?

Thanks

Message 2 of 16

The Orbi is connected to an AT&T fiber router. The WiFi is disabled on the device. 

The Orbi is setup in Router mode. I even checked the DHCP pool configuration on the AT&T Router and it is not within the same IP space as what is being assigned.

@CrimpOn wrote:

It sounds like there are two DHCP servers at work.  Can you please explain:

• What is the Orbi router connected to (brand, model number)?
    Is it a router or "simply a modem, nothing more"?
    (Hint: if the device has only a single ethernet jack, it is probably a modem.  If it has more jacks, it is likely a router.)
  • Is the Orbi in "router" or Access Point (AP) mode?

Thanks

Message 3 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  Since both routers assign IP's, would you mind sharing the DHCP parameters of the AT&T router and the Orbi router?

Message 4 of 16

Orbi 10.0.0.x

AT&T 192.168.1.x

The assigned IP addresses I'm seeing at random are 192.168.2.x

Message 5 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Truly bizzare.  The device says it is connected to the Orbi, and the Orbi shows the device with an IP address of 192.168.2.x ?

• Do the devices function?  Can they reach the internet?
  • By chance, are any devices defined in the Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup tables?
Message 6 of 16

Yes exactly what I see. Can't explain it.

@CrimpOn wrote:

Truly bizzare.  The device says it is connected to the Orbi, and the Orbi shows the device with an IP address of 192.168.2.x ?

• By chance, are any devices defined in the Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup tables?

Message 7 of 16

• The devices function however they will take longer to connect to the Internet.
  • No devices are defined in the LAN Setup tables.

Sorry should have read all the way through the first time.

@CrimpOn wrote:

Message 8 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

The only possibilities I can think of are:

• There is another DHCP server "somewhere".  A device that no one would ever expect to be serving up IP addresses, but does.  or
  • These devices somehow got a 192.168.2.x IP address and every time they ask to renew it, the Orbi says, "Sure, go ahead.  Have a nice day."
    I have had instances where Orbi gave out an IP address to a device when I wanted it to have an assigned IP address.
    No matter how many times I rebooted the device, it always got the same (wrong) IP address.
    The only way I could shake it loose was to do this:

1. Turn off the device.
    2. Get an old cell phone out of a drawer and charge it up.
    3. Go into the Orbi LAN Setup and define that wrong IP address to belong to the cell phone.
    4. Connect the cell phone to Orbi.  Now IT has that IP address.
    5. Power up the offending device.  This time, it asks for an IP address and Orbi says, "Oops, the address you have been using all this time is in use, so I'll look in my DHCP/LAN Setup tables and give you a new one."
    Enormously frustrating.
    (It also might work to power down the Orbi which might clear the IP tables, but I never thought of that.)
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If your going to use the RBR in router mode behind another router, I would make sure you place the RBRs WAN IP address it gets from the ISP router into the DMZ on the modem. Will help with NAT problems when in this kind of configuration. 

@HazardousTim wrote:

I have an odd issue where Orbi will assign some devices the wrong IP address space. My default space is 10.0.0.x and I have some devices connected wirelessly that get assigned an ip address of 192.168.2.x. Other than assigning static IP Addresses I'm not sure how to resolve the issue.

Message 10 of 16

It is already getting its NAT IP address via DHCP from the AT&T Router. 
@FURRYe38 wrote:

If your going to use the RBR in router mode behind another router, I would make sure you place the RBRs WAN IP address it gets from the ISP router into the DMZ on the modem. Will help with NAT problems when in this kind of configuration. 

@HazardousTim wrote:

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

The DMZ or IP pass thru would be recommneded if your using the RBR in router mode behind the ISP Modem/router:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 12 of 16
theoak
Luminary

I have also seen this.  My Dish receiver will end up with an IP of 169.* where it should be 192.*.  I have not narrowed down the source.  I reboot my ISP modem (bridged), personal router, Orbi (router - AP mode - and satellites) - the receiver just does not want to let go of 169.  I have to reset the Dish receiver and then it grabs the correct IP.  It is almost like the Orbi router gets placed in Router mode briefly and hands out IPs before it flips to AP mode.  However, in the meantime 169 gets assigned I guess until the lease expires??? - pure guess.

Anyway, reboot/restart the impacted device usually corrects it for me.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

DISH Hopper or a different model? 
I all have DISH Hopper system. 3 Joeys all wired to the hopper via separate segmented switches, away from primary home network, which connect directly to the back of the RBR. I would make sure your DISH devices are directly connected to the back of the host router.

Occasionally I have to power OFF the Hopper and Joeys when changing routers as they don't seem to acquire an IP address correctly or could have been in IP address conflict which could lead to a 169 address. I haven't seen any 169s on the system. The DISH devices don't have any asssigned IP reservations. 

You might assign IP address reservations the the DISH device(s). Be sure to power them OFF for 1 minuted then back on after a reboot of the RBR. May help with what your seeing. 

@theoak wrote:

I have also seen this.  My Dish receiver will end up with an IP of 169.* where it should be 192.*.  I have not narrowed down the source.  I reboot my ISP modem (bridged), personal router, Orbi (router - AP mode - and satellites) - the receiver just does not want to let go of 169.  I have to reset the Dish receiver and then it grabs the correct IP.  It is almost like the Orbi router gets placed in Router mode briefly and hands out IPs before it flips to AP mode.  However, in the meantime 169 gets assigned I guess until the lease expires??? - pure guess.

Anyway, reboot/restart the impacted device usually corrects it for me.

Message 14 of 16
theoak
Luminary

I have a Hopper 3 and one Joey (Version 2? - which ever one is compatible with the Hopper 3). The Joey gets it video and internet via cable Dish's built in RG6 MoCA.  My router does give it a separate IP.  So it sounds like then this more a Dish thing versus Orbi.  Thanks.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a DISH thing. Ya the Joey wouldn't get an IP from the Hopper over RG6. RG6 is preferred. Thought when you don't have RG6 in places in the home, then it's nice that Joeys have the LAN port connection ability. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7