Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi behind a FW dropping out

SKHM28
Aspirant

Orbi behind a FW dropping out

Hi folks.
hope someone can shed some light on my issue,

i have been running my mesh for a couple of years, but recently experiencing issues with the wifi dropping.

i run a ping to 8.8.8.8 and every now and again, the pings drop for 30-35 pings and then restart.  Whilst the pings are missing, the wireless drops.  

its like something is causing the system to reset and start again.  Its becoming a nuisance.  as i said its worked flawlessly for a couple of years.

I have not added or changed any configurations in recent times.  I have also scanned the area to check no overbearing adjacent SSIDs out there. None.

my setup is as follows,

virgin hub 3 connected to a smoothwall firewall.  Thats all there is connected to the router.  On the inside of the firewall I have a cisco switch, which has the RBR50 in AP mode connected to it. On another floor are the RBS50s in different rooms. One has a TV connected to a LAN port. Otherwise both are just providing 2.4 and 5ghz. Channel 3 and 40. (Ive tried changing the channels to no avail)

all three Orbis are latest firmware. 2..7.3.22

ISP is 350/35 and pretty solid.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Message 1 of 4
SKHM28
Aspirant

Re: Orbi behind a FW dropping out

Hi

update on my issue.

having checked and confirmed all tvs and sky boxes, and anything else has a static manual ip i have tracked down the problem to one of two devices.

one is a sony tv and the other is a sky mini box.

symtoms are dropping the signal, causing any internet activity. (Teams call etc) to pause for a period of 15-20 seconds.

turningOFF at the power the TV and sky box stopped the drop outs totally over a period of three hours where i was previously having the drops every 15-20 mins.

i have now turned on the tv, and running it connected to orbi for ip connections. So far aftr about an hour, all is good.

next test will be to turn on the sky mini. If the drop outs resume I will run an ethernet cable directly between the main box and the mini (if thats possible) and test again.

it looks like something is going on between the main sky q and the mini.

more later.

Message 2 of 4
SKHM28
Aspirant

Hi all,

in case this is any help to others - i ran the TV for a few hours with no drop outs. Then i switched the sky q mini box on and immediately the drops started again.

so narrowed down now to the sky box.

i will try a software update if there is one, but pretty certain nothing wrong with my wifi setup.

cheers

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact whom ever supports the Sky box for there help and information regarding there product. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7