Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi extender for patio

Brenkj
Aspirant

Orbi extender for patio

I recently got an Orbi system. It works great indoors, but the WiFi on my patio is really weak. Is there a small extender I can get for that? Thanks
Message 1 of 5

Re: Orbi extender for patio

@Brenkj wrote:
I recently got an Orbi system. It works great indoors, but the WiFi on my patio is really weak. Is there a small extender I can get for that? Thanks

Not small, but there is a purpose built outdoor satellite.

Look for Orbi RBS50Y.

But if the patio is on the house it might be easier to put a satellite indoors. That might provide enough wifi power.

Not knowing the layout and dimensions, it is hard to tell.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Brenkj wrote:

I agree with @michaelkenward If the signal is not good on the patio now, adding an expensive weatherproof external satellite would not be my first choice.  (Unless the patio is located away from the building) I would look for a location inside the house that is close to the patio and has at least a moderate 5G signal from the router or other internal satellite.  My Orbi's project a strong (5-bar" signal through the wall and onto my front porch and rear patios. I, personally, am leery of the "wall plug" satellites, because the design screams out "plug me in at the bottom of the wall behind furniture and other obstacles."  Not having ever purchased one, my concerns are entirely superstition.

Message 3 of 5

@CrimpOn wrote:

I, personally, am leery of the "wall plug" satellites, because the design screams out "plug me in at the bottom of the wall behind furniture and other obstacles." 

Good thinking, but there is a way around that.

If you have two floors, put the plug-in satellite at ground level upstairs. Then it is at floor level and is well positioned to deliver wifi to both levels upstairs and downstairs.

That works for me.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@Brenkj wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7