Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi with R7000 using Ethernet backhaul

sgmidf
Guide

Orbi with R7000 using Ethernet backhaul

Hello,

I’m getting ready to set up a new system using and R7000 router with the Orbi system in access point mode. I planned to use ethernet backhaul. I currently have two separate lines running to 2 parts of the house. My question is how to wire this with my 7000. Can I connect my Orbi base unit to a LAN port and the other lines to the other LAN ports of the R7000? Or do I need to run the 2 lines off of the Orbi LAN ports? In other words do I have to put the main Orbi ahead of the satellites or can they all be connected to the R7000 (acting as a switch)?
Thanks
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to run two lines out from the Orbi base unit to the satellites. Or you can use a non managed switch in between the Orbi base and satellites if needed:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 7

I have the R7800 router feeding an Orbi in AP mode at the end of a Powerline Ethernet network.

Message 3 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@sgmidf wrote:

......... Can I connect my Orbi base unit to a LAN port and the other lines to the other LAN ports of the R7000? Or do I need to run the 2 lines off of the Orbi LAN ports? In other words do I have to put the main Orbi ahead of the satellites or can they all be connected to the R7000 (acting as a switch)?

It should be ok to use the R7000 as a switch and connect the router and satellites through it.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

He want to use the R7000 as his main host router, not as a switch. The satellites need to be connect directly to the satellite base or thru a LAN switch thats connected to the R7000 router. This will work. 

Message 5 of 7
sgmidf
Guide

Ekhalil is correct that I’m interested in using them Ian ports of my R7000 as a switch. I can add another switch if necessary, but it seems as if it should work without the additional switch. The most important thing is is I don’t need to run the lines to the satellite off of the main Orbi unit but can run all 3 from a switch. That makes it a lot easier for me in terms of cables.
Thanks
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to see if it works like that. Connecting the satellite to the R7000 may imped communication with the Orbi base. Then again, it may work. If the R7000 was configured for AP mode then I would say yes of course, use it as a switch. I would recommend connecting it using the recommended configuration posted by NG to minimize problems and maximize performaces. It's what I use. I have 3 switches in between my base router and satellite. Works well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7