Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like you got it running better. Glad the linked URL helped. Seems to be a good process.

Just checking to make sure you don't have any managed switched in the mix. Seem to have issues between Orbi and managed switches.

@Oceanwaves wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How long are you waiting after you plug in the ethernet cable? 5 minutes is needed for the system to reconfigure for wired back haul. Do you get a BLUE LED on the satellite?

Disable Daisy Chain as well.

Is there a network switch in between the router and satellite? If so, whats the Mfr and model of the switch?

Reivew this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

Well, when I downgraded to 2.1.2.18 again yesterday I followed that procedure. I started the satellite without ethernet and let it run for 15-20 minutes. After that time the light was off. But I usually get a bad connection at 2.4 GHz with WiFi backhaul because of an armored-concrete ceiling. The distance between AP and satellite is around 2 meters. The problem is the ceiling. That's why I have a CAT7 cable between 1st and 2nd floor.

I tried that procedure with 2.1.4.10 also, but as soon as I plug in the ethernet cable my network goes down within 30 seconds. The lights on the switches are flashing in sync and I notice a lot of package drops when doing a ping.

I also disabled Daisy Chain, Beamforming, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming, which didn't help.

I have 2 switches between RBR and RBS20. They are both D-Links (DGS-108, 8 ports 1 GBit simple switches).

As both devices are currently running 2.1.2.18 and everything seems stable, I will wait for a new FW before doing more tests. Only drawback at the moment is that the "Attached devices" page looks strange. For example it says that the the satellite is connected at 5 GHz and the backhaule status is bad (in fact it's connected to ethernet). And my Android phone is connected by wire to the satellite. But I'm next to the router and there's definitely no cable coming out of the phone... The devices list was ok before the last automatic update to 2.1.4.10 yesterday.

Message 226 of 258
manuel-c23
Star

Rif.: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

With my RBK40 system, the wired backhaul connection doesn't work if daisy chain is disabled.

Moreover, there's a known issue when you use the wired backhaul and you reboot the router: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Bug-Wired-backhaul-Router-reboot-KO/m-p/1568671#M31460

Message 227 of 258
budy
Luminary

@manuel-c23 wrote:

With my RBK40 system, the wired backhaul connection doesn't work if daisy chain is disabled.

Moreover, there's a known issue when you use the wired backhaul and you reboot the router: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Bug-Wired-backhaul-Router-reboot-KO/m-p/1568671#M31460

Can't confirm that. My RBK40 runs just fine on wired backhaul without daisy chain enabled.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 228 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

Mine works as well. Daisy Chain is disabled here.

Any external network switches in the mix? If so, what is the Mfr and model# of the switch?

@manuel-c23 wrote:

Message 229 of 258
manuel-c23
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

That's not a fix because you have to do it everytime the router gets rebooted. There's no way my mother can fix the connection by herself when I'm not at my parents' home.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any external network switches in the mix? If so, what is the Mfr and model# of the switch?

My firmware is V2.1.4.10, I have 1 satellite and no external switches (direct connection between router and satellite).

When I disable Daisy Chain, the wired backhaul doesn't work. I tried several times on factory resetted devices.

However I can keep it enabled so there's a workaround, but there's no permanent workaround for the reboot-related issue.

Message 230 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try that process to get the system set up then test it out.

If you manually updated FW, Satellite first, then router. I would factory reset both router and satellite, set up the router first, then re-add the satellite via wireless. Test the system out by simulating a power outtage by unplugging the system. Plug in the router first then satellite. The system should come back to full ready with out any intervention.

@manuel-c23 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

That's not a fix because you have to do it everytime the router gets rebooted. There's no way my mother can fix the connection by herself when I'm not at my parents' home.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

My firmware is V2.1.4.10, I have 1 satellite and no external switches (direct connection between router and satellite).

When I disable Daisy Chain, the wired backhaul doesn't work. I tried several times on factory resetted devices.

However I can keep it enabled so there's a workaround, but there's no permanent workaround for the reboot-related issue.

Message 231 of 258
manuel-c23
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you manually updated FW, Satellite first, then router. I would factory reset both router and satellite, set up the router first, then re-add the satellite via wireless. Test the system out by simulating a power outtage by unplugging the system. Plug in the router first then satellite. The system should come back to full ready with out any intervention.

I already tried this, when the router/satellite come back, the wired backhaul doesn't work and I have to disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable.

Message 232 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the wireless back haul work after a simulated black out? If so, I would use the wireless back haul until NG fixes this. I would contact NG support or one of the forum Moderators on here and let them know.

@DarrenM

@manuel-c23 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I already tried this, when the router/satellite come back, the wired backhaul doesn't work and I have to disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable.

Message 233 of 258
arosstyler
Guide

Well, I have upgraded the FW on both the Router and the Satellite and... yep did a hard factory reset and jumped ththeugh te reconfiguration hoops.

The only settings changed  from factory are:

• admin credentials
  • WiFi name and PW
  • Address reservation for my core devices (9 of those) 

And... the whole router still randomly takes itself offline and then SOMETIMES boots itself back up. Lasted a whole 3 hours before it happened the first time. So this new firmware has in no way solved the issue. The network goes down and often times does not self-recover unless I hard power cycle. This is frustrating for the family and as a person who works from home often and needs to access files when on the go this is a severe disappointment. Looks like it may be time to go to eBay (way past return window) and then look at LinkSys. Real bummer too as I have been a Netgear user for a long time. Even have Arlo and cameras and Netgear switches in use bummer I can keep the router Netgear too.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 234 of 258
Frank_H
Guide

I experienced much better stability after i turned off the daisy chain feature.

Message 235 of 258
brutepunk
Initiate

am so sick of this madness with netgear team, you roll out firmware that craps out most of our systems,. unblvbl , never ever netgear

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 236 of 258
Roostlick
Initiate

Has anyone with an RBW30 had a 2.1.4 update yet?

I've still got the RBR40 on 2.1.4 but the RBW30 is on 2.1.3 an seemingly is having a lot more issues since the router updated. Will regularly disconnect, or show that it's connection is only fair. When in reality it's not too far from the router at all and it never did this when they were both on the same firmware version.

Model: RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 237 of 258
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

RB30's are always on a different firmware unlike 40 or 50. Also check on your daisy chain option on or off to see if that is a factor.
Message 238 of 258
tsig
Luminary

@brutepunk

Most?  What does "most" mean?  Yours?  Ok, but after that you are shooting in the breeze.

Message 239 of 258
arosstyler
Guide

@Frank_H Thanks for the idea!  Only had one random drop and auto reboot yesterday after turning this off. Speeds seem OK. I will test further. I tried out Velop today but.... huge huge speed decrease. From full speed on Orbi 125Mbps in almost my whole house to 94Mbps right at the router and down to 8Mbps in bedrooms with Velop. I would need a ton of Velope nodes to get even close to the same coverage. 

I am trying to connect several devices wifi instead of through a Netgear switch that plugged into the Orbi (xbox, PS4, and Roku). The WiFi speed is so good why wire right? I am hoping the Switch into the Orbi may be part of what cause the old reboots and drops. I will report back after a few days or so.

Message 240 of 258
manuel-c23
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does the wireless back haul work after a simulated black out? If so, I would use the wireless back haul until NG fixes this. I would contact NG support or one of the forum Moderators on here and let them know.

@DarrenM

@manuel-c23 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When Daisy Chain is off, the backhaul signal is weak (this is why I need the wired backhaul). When Daisy Chain is on, the signal is even weaker (I get the purple light and no connection).

Message 241 of 258
budy
Luminary

You do get the a solid magenta light on the router, when using wired backhaul? If this is the case, this might not be an indicator for a non-working wired backhaul, but simply a bug in the FW of the router.

Message 242 of 258
manuel-c23
Star

@budy wrote:

You do get the a solid magenta light on the router, when using wired backhaul? If this is the case, this might not be an indicator for a non-working wired backhaul, but simply a bug in the FW of the router.

I get the magenta light on the satellite.

Message 243 of 258
larryindublin
Luminary

@tsig wrote:

@brutepunk

Most?  What does "most" mean?  Yours?  Ok, but after that you are shooting in the breeze.

I agree - Have had my RBK53 set (Router mode, 2 satellites on wifi backhaul. Using OpenDNS for my DNS. Turned on agreesive roaming. All other defaults. My ISP gives me 70/5 and that’s exactly what I get in just about every square foot of my house and out to the sidewalk and backyard.

For me, Orbi has been a godsend. Perfect, consistent, stable wifi. I’m not minimizing those who have had issues, but for me I have 30+ devices connected from home automation to iPhone/IPad to Android phone and smart TV’s. It just works. Current uptime is 24+ days and I think was 20+ before that as well but we had some thunderstorms that knocked out the power for a bit.

I joined this forum because I am a techie who wanted to get suggestions for maximizing my speed and also stay up on the latest news. I think MOST who come here do it only when they have problems, so it looks worse than it is from a volume point of view.

Not making excuses for Netgear. It’s a damn shame they haven’t been able to fix these ongoing issues some people have been having but I don’t see Orbi as being “the worse wifi ever”...

Message 244 of 258
budy
Luminary

@manuel-c23 wrote:

@budy wrote:

I had that one time, I think… if the satellite is otherwise working, you clould just shut off the LED ring ion the satellite and see if it lights up again…

Message 245 of 258
protojah
Aspirant

I too came to this forum to learn from all the informative posts on here to make my Orbi work, and to maximize its performance.

Add me to the list of persons with constant "no internet after 2 days" when I first bought this Orbi in November 2017. Only resolution was to reboot the system (RBK53 plus RBS40), and I was happy I could do this through the app - even when I was not home.

I reluctantly upgraded to 2.1.4.10, factory reset and set my network back from scratch. I had little hope it would work, after all the previous disappointing firmwares. However, I can honestly say for the first time in almost 6 months of having this device that I have gone two weeks with no drops. For this I am grateful, and the wife and kid are not complaining.

The only issue now is the fact that if there is a power outage, wired backhaul doesnt work, I have to unplug the ethernet cable, let the satellites sync wirelessly then plug in the cable after 5 minutes. 

I can live with that, with the hopes that Netgear fixes this in the next firmware, (without breaking anything else). For the first time I am on the other side of the fence - not wanting to "dump this piece of crap" and experiencing stable wifi.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 246 of 258
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@protojah wrote:

The only issue now is the fact that if there is a power outage, wired backhaul doesnt work, I have to unplug the ethernet cable, let the satellites sync wirelessly then plug in the cable after 5 minutes. 

My Orbi router (and my cable modem) are powered by a UPS. My 2 Orbi satellites are just plugged into the wall. I haven't had my wired backhaul drop after a power outage. Just speculating, it may be sufficient to keep the main router powered through an outage.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 247 of 258
manuel-c23
Star

@budy wrote:

@manuel-c23 wrote:

@budy wrote:

I had that one time, I think… if the satellite is otherwise working, you clould just shut off the LED ring ion the satellite and see if it lights up again…

The satellite connection doesn't work, the wired backhaul doesn't recover after a router reboot, you have to disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable.

Message 248 of 258
manuel-c23
Star

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

@protojah wrote:

My Orbi router (and my cable modem) are powered by a UPS. My 2 Orbi satellites are just plugged into the wall. I haven't had my wired backhaul drop after a power outage. Just speculating, it may be sufficient to keep the main router powered through an outage.

So we should buy a UPS for the Orbi router because the Orbi firmware is bugged?

Message 249 of 258
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@manuel-c23 wrote:

So we should buy a UPS for the Orbi router because the Orbi firmware is bugged?

No, you should buy a UPS for the modem & router to keep your network alive during a power outage.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 250 of 258
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7