Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Outdoor RBS50Yv2 won’t sync to AC3000 router anymore

Hotkey
Aspirant

Outdoor RBS50Yv2 won’t sync to AC3000 router anymore

Outdoor unit has been working must if the time for years. Recently it disconnected and rebooting wouldn’t fix it. I brought it inside and tried the sync process a few feet from router but it resolves to Magenta. No connection. I’m not sure what else to do at this point. As I was trying to sync I saw water seeping from the unit just fyi in case that’s a problem. Help please
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Outdoor RBS50Yv2 won’t sync to AC3000 router anymore

@Hotkey wrote:
As I was trying to sync I saw water seeping from the unit just fyi in case that’s a problem. Help please

Water inside the case is definitely a problem. See this post from 2019:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/Outdoor-RBS50Yv2-won-t-sync-to-AC3000... 

Need to open the case, dry it out, and hope it isn't fried.

Message 2 of 8
Hotkey
Aspirant

I’ll do that. Also that link just opens to my post when I click it. ??
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 4 of 8
Hotkey
Aspirant

Ha - sounds like my browser as well! I'd sure say lots of others same issue and indicates poor design and false advertising I'd say. It was "partially" protected for the past 3 years but if I can get it up and running again, I'll mount it up under an eave or porch roof.

If I can't, does Orbi have a newer/better outdoor solution that would work with my router that you know of?

Thanks for the fast accurate help too!

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Weather rated products is not one of Netgear's strengths.  The only "outdoor" Orbi satellite is the RBS50Y.  Nothing at all for the AX product line or the WiFi6E product.

As one of those posts indicated, at least one commercial installer put regular Orbi satellites inside plastic weatherproof utility boxes.

The significant difference between a "WiFi Extender" and a "satellite" is seamless roaming.  There are a number of weatherproof WiFi Extenders that will work with any WiFi system (from any manufacturer).  They work great to extend WiFi coverage for non-mobile devices (pool controllers, solar systems, cameras, etc.  Mobile devices are where roaming is an issue.

"Honey. Why is Netflix not streaming right on my tablet?". "You came outside (again). Go into network settings and choose the WiFi again.  Remember when you go back inside to reconnect."

Message 6 of 8
Hotkey
Aspirant

So if I understand your comments, if I mainly want the extension for security cams, garage opener security and stationary media devices I could get any brand OUTDOOR unit and be good to go? (Understanding that using the occasional iphone or wifi only ipad maybe be hit/miss? At the rick of wearing out my welcome with your help, might you suggest an outdoor unit or 2 that I might consider? (I'll google for the same to see if I end up at the same place!)

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 8
Hotkey
Aspirant

I settled on buying another AC3000 satellite and a waterproof box. We'll see how that works.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7