Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pixel saying it's connected but is not working (Orbi RBR20)

SDFYYZ
Aspirant

Pixel saying it's connected but is not working (Orbi RBR20)

Back in late February my Google Pixel 1 phone stopped connecting to WiFi in the home. It appeared to not work at other wifi locations as well. I ordered a new Google Pixel 3. That new phone didn't connect to our WiFi. I returned it for another one and it's not connecting stil.
My husband's iPhone connects, our laptops connect and all other devices.
My new phone connects to WiFi everywhere but at home.

I try to use Instagram or Pinterest, for example, and it just spins and spins.

I have tried:
- rebooting my phone

- taking off battery saver

- rebooting orbi

- having the Internet tech from my provider in (nothing is wrong with our router)
- I was even able to connect to wifi in Cuba(!!!!) which is weak to begin with.

What can I do? My cell bill came in for $200 in overages. blah!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Pixel saying it's connected but is not working (Orbi RBR20)

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try changing DNS on the RBR to 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 and see if this does anything. 

If other devices connect and get internet correctly and this one device does, possible you'll need to contact Google about this.

Message 2 of 7
SDFYYZ
Aspirant

Thank you for responding.
firmware is the current one V2.3.1.44
Our router is Arris, Model TM822G

I'll switch the DNS soon. Thank you

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok one other thing that could be causing problems is your ISP modem. It already has a built in router and wifi. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@SDFYYZ wrote:

My new phone connects to WiFi everywhere but at home.

Since the Orbi works with everything else and the phone works everywhere else, there is nothing "wrong" with the hardware.  My first step would be to "forget" the home network, reboot the phone, and try to connect again.  A Google search turned up this guide to troubleshooting Pixel 3 WiFi issues:

https://thedroidguy.com/2019/03/how-to-fix-a-google-pixel-3-xl-wifi-internet-issues-troubleshooting-...

Message 5 of 7
SDFYYZ
Aspirant

Thank you. I had found that resource back in February and tried all of the suggestions with no luck. I did not though restart my phone after I clicked on "forget" network. Sadly, I can connect but it's intermittent, slow and I think it's just loading cached info. 😞

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check on the suggestions with your ISP modem. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7