Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please help! Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar WIFI issues

ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Please help! Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar WIFI issues

Hello everyone, I'm desperately in need of some help I'm having the weirdest issue. I have searched everywhere online and I can't seem to find any help on it. My Orbi router RBR50 has been working flawlessly since I bought it in December 2019. However now I purchased a Samsung Soundbar HW-Q90R and my Wifi is garbage in the living room. It's the weirdest thing... when I unplug the soundbar (not when I only turn it off but unplug it) the Wifi is extremely fast 120mbps+ but when I plug the soundbar in the wifi drops to 3mbps-7mbps. I tried playing around with some of the channels but nothing seems to be fixing it. I also turned off Wifi on the soundbar and that didn't do it. I have the sound bar connected via HDMI-eARC to the TV set and no other connections. The other 2 rear speakers and subwooder are wireless. The soundbar is the only thing I have plugged in and I'm having the issue so I know it's not any of the other devices. I contacted Samsung support and they basically said they're unaware of this issue and they can't help me. I'm completely lost and have no idea what I could possibly do to get this working. I like the sound system so I'm really upset it looks like I'll have to return it for some other model. 

If anyone can think of anything we can try doing to resolve this you'd be a lifesaver for me! 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Please help! Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar WIFI issues

The sound bar is probably broadcasting on or near the same channels as the Orbi is using. Probaby using channels that the orbis back haul maybe using which can't be changed by the user. Only the front haul channels can be changed. 

Message 2 of 12
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

That’s terrible so there’s nothing I can do? Since I can’t change the channel?
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Only other thing you can try is turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Other than this, no. Ensure the sound bar device is placed as far away from the RBR or RBS as possible. 

Message 4 of 12
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Yeah tried that already unfortunately didn’t fix the issue. I was on the phone 1 hour with Samsung tech support and they said they’ve never even heard this before. It’s so weird. Minute I unplug the soundbar speeds are 220+ mbps soundbar plugged in 1-7mbps. I guess I’ll replace it with a Bose unit, hopefully I won’t run into the same issue. Thank you for your help.
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 12
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Thanks. Hey Fury one last question is there a way to check which channels are heavier congested? I live in an apartment building and I’ve noticed some times of the day my internet is slower. Everything I checked online didn’t work for me and I don’t have an Android.
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a pad, then download NG WiFi Analitics app, or WiFi analyzer is the one I like, also Ubiquity WiFiman is a good app. 

Message 8 of 12
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

NG WiFi analytics I don’t see in Apple App Store, and the one you like I believe is $3.99. The WiFi man one doesn’t show any information on channels. I’m trying to find out what channels my neighbors are on to see which are congested the most.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

WiFiman shows channels. You have to select one of the SSID Names from the list then that will bring up more info about each SSID you see. You can also look for Net Analyzer for pad as well. 

Message 10 of 12
fade6
Aspirant

FYI - please see my latest post. This will resolve the issue. To my knowledge, ALL wireless speakers (subwoofers, rears) rely on the same 5 GHz channel range that is used by Orbi's backhaul.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Changing-Backhaul-Channel-to-Help-with-Wireless-Speakers/td-p/...

Message 11 of 12
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Thanks a lot fade6! Unfortunately I tried those steps and it didn’t work for me. I’m going to give it another shot. I responded to your post.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7