Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 IPv6 Stops Working

RBK50 IPv6 Stops Working

About every 24 hours IPv6 stops functioning on my system.  Verified via http://ipv6-test.com.  I have to login and click apply in the IPv6 setting and it starts working again for about 24 hours.  I have the latest FW, 2.1.4.10.  Just a simple setup with a router and one satalite connected via wireless backhaul.  Ideas?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the orbi is connected too?

Try a full reboot of the router and test again. If it still happens, try a full factory reset of the router and set up from scratch...

Message 2 of 65

The modem is an Arris TM822 and IPS is Comcast.  I will try a reboot and monitor.  If it happens after rebooting I will do a factory reset.

Message 3 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the modem bridged or a stand alone modem? Not built in router. The TM822 comes in a TM822g which has a built in router...

Message 4 of 65
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

My ISP is Comcast and I am also failing to connect to any sites via IPv6 today. Rebooted everything and v6 is still down.

I think Comcast may be having an outage.

My modem is a new Motorola MB8600.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 65

I tried rebooting.  IPv6 did not come back.  I factory reset the sat and router and reconfigured manually, not from backup file.  Tried both "Get Automatically from IPS" and manually configuring Google IPv6 DNS addresses.  Still no IPv6. 

I connected directly to my modem via Eth cable.  IPv6 works.

Something must be wrong with the Orbi.  I guess the next thing to try is back reving the FW?

Message 6 of 65

With no changes to the Orbi setup from last night, IPv6 is now working this morning.  This is making my brain hurt... 

Message 7 of 65
Bill____
Apprentice

Every few days, my iPV6 stops working. I was doing a reset from the cable modem (in bridge mode) to the Orbi router and then satellites, it would work again each time after this.

I then tried resetting only the cable modem.   It had no effect. 

I tried turning off and on the IPv6 in the Orbi router and it worked again.  This certainly appears to be another failing in the Orbi Firmware.   Annoyance to say the least. 

Message 8 of 65

Yes. Very annoying.  My Ipv6 is not working this morning.  It must be a FW bug.  

Message 9 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 65

@DarrenM Thoughts or suggestions for this issue?  Shout it be added to the bug list?

Thanks

Message 11 of 65
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I will report this to engineering and see what we can do to replicate the issues.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 65
ngc9344
Aspirant

I can confirm on Router Firmware Version V2.1.4.16 I can't get IPv6 to work.

It gets the IPv6 from the ISP, but it does not forward the details to the client.

On the IP Address Assignment I have tested with "Use DHCP Server" and "Auto Config". None of those options are working, the clients do not get IPv6 addresses!

Help!

ipv6 settingsipv6 settings

Message 13 of 65
loomis1975
Luminary

I can confirm on .16 my ipv6 worked fine with Autodetect setting via Spectrum internet provider.

How do you ask?  Because I had to turn it OFF because freaking Fingbox and Disney Circle can't pause internet access on devices that can use IPV6.  You basically have to revert to IPV4 if you want control over modern devices.  Opendns's newer IPV6 settings / servers did work fine if anybody is wondering.

Message 14 of 65

Update 6/27:

Still having the issue of IPv6 randomly turning off.  I have done factroy reset and manual setup and it does not resolve the issue.  FW is V2.1.4.16.  However I have found if I go into Advanced Setup\IPv6 and select Apply IPv6 will start working again for 24-48 hours. 

Message 15 of 65
ngc9344
Aspirant

If I put Auto Detect in the IPv6 / Internet Connection Type box, it detects as Tunnel 6 to 4, but I have a PPPoE connection.

It just does not work !

Message 16 of 65
globespy
Apprentice

Does netgear even give a crap about this still not working?

Cloudflare, Google, OpenDNS - not even Comcast's own IPV6 DNS work any more!

I have 100% confirmation that I have access to IPV6 through Comcast - I've been using it for months.

Why does Netgear not seem to give a flying 'duck' about any of this?

A flagship product and they still have barely legible Indian (or wherever that's cheaper than paying people in the USA) tech support staff going through timw wasting scripts and ultimately blaming your ISP or your modem!

I use the Arris SB8200 - it's a fantastic Docsis 3.1 modem that simply passes the internet straight through to the Netgear.

Then Netgear manages to screw it all up!

Thank fgod Costco's return policy on electronics is amazing - that retail box is starting to look good to me right now.

Message 17 of 65
globespy
Apprentice

Seems like a big part of this problem could be down to Netgear's long standing refusal to allow IPV6 ICMP filtering.

Despite all of their competition having no issues with it, Netgear refuse despite growing evidence that this is a likely cause of many of the IPV6 issues many live with.

Seriously netgear?

I swore I would never buy another Netgear product, they have been the most troublesome products I've owned in 2+ decades of buying this hardware. But significant other thought they looked 'cute'.

Add their industry leading scumbag 90 day tech support (from script reading goons who often know far less than me) before reaching for your wallet and it's becoming a worse proposition every time.

It's just a bad state of affairs and they don't seem to give a flying eff

Message 18 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking to see if anyone has loaded v210 FW and if anything changed with IPv6? 

@NoNo_BadDog

@globespy

@ngc9344

@loomis1975

Message 19 of 65

The issue still exists for me. Actually worse that before.  Initially after the .210 update IPv6 worked.  I had to re-enable IPv6 a few times, but then it stopped working and will not re-enable.  Going into advanced setting and reapplying the IPv6 setting does nothing.  I tried changing from Cloudfare to Google IPv6 DNS addresses, but it still does not turn on.  Also tried powering off cabel modem, router and satilite and rebooting.  No change.  I have not had the time to do a factory reset and reconfigure, but that is my next step. 

Message 20 of 65
Kyne
Apprentice

Well, for what it's worth - you can (permanently and reliably) enable ipv6 ICMP via the debug (debug.htm) page in orbi

"Allow external IPv6 hosts ping internal IPv6 hosts"

You'll get a 'perfect score' with IPv6 testers afterwards, too 😉

Message 21 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

And is the connection stable? 

Does IPv6 work for you after a while?

What version of FW are you using? 

@Kyne wrote:

Well, for what it's worth - you can (permanently and reliably) enable ipv6 ICMP via the debug (debug.htm) page in orbi

"Allow external IPv6 hosts ping internal IPv6 hosts"

You'll get a 'perfect score' with IPv6 testers afterwards, too 😉

Message 22 of 65

I did a complete factory reset and reconfigure.  Still no IPv6.

Message 23 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

I sent you a PM.

Anyone else having problems with IPv6. Please PM me or one of the moderators. I've been in contact with NG support and they needs to gather some information.

Message 24 of 65
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NoNo_BadDog is it possible that this issue stems from your cable modem or modem that is providing the IPv6 address. If you are using cable modem can you provide screenshot of your connection page and the event logs as they may help us further isolate the problem. Also does the IPv6 connection work if you set the IPv6 to passthru option on your orbi ui?

Message 25 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7