Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 with RBW30 satellites - Can't update firmware

JeriD
Star

RBR40 with RBW30 satellites - Can't update firmware

Hi - I have a RBR40 router and two connected RBW30 satellites which work fine. Today, I checked to see if they need firmware updates. I did this by logging directly into the router and going to firmware page. I pressed Check Firmware and it said I currently have version: V2.7.3.22. It said newer version was available: V2.7.4.24. For the satellites, it said I had VV2.6.2.6 in both of them. It said update failed for both satellites. However, I checked and according to Netgear site, the satellites are using the latest firmware. It seems that there is no way for me to use the automated system to do the update of even the router. I get no option to actually install it. Only check again. Should I manually update the firmware by downloading it to my laptop and manually installing the router firmware and call it a day? Or could there be another reason the tool isn't letting install the newer router firmware? And is it possible the satellite messages about updated failed are related to the problem? Thanks.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR40 with RBW30 satellites - Can't update firmware

You can manually update. 

when you're on the firmware update page, there's a tab at the top thats gray that says manual update, click that. 

From that screen you can manually update. I recommend doing the satellites first if you're needing updates and then the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can manually update. 

when you're on the firmware update page, there's a tab at the top thats gray that says manual update, click that. 

From that screen you can manually update. I recommend doing the satellites first if you're needing updates and then the router. 

Message 2 of 8
JeriD
Star

Just thought I'd confirm to close this out that rather than updating manually, I went into the Orbi Iphone app and it also noted the firmware update for the router was available and it offered to allow the update. I was able to kick it off from there and all was well after it. What's interesting to me is after I got the router updated, I tried from the web to kick off a firmware update again just to see if it properly detected the satellites up to date. It properly said the router was up to date but then tried to download firmware for each of the satellites but ultimately failed with the same message (Update failed). So, my guess is that somehow it thinks there is an update it should do but actually there is not? And according to the Netgear site, the satellites have been on the most current version already.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi web function for Firmware Update behaves strangely (in my opinion)

Rather than display, "Looking to see if there is new firmware", the moron who programmed the function displays "Downloading new firmware", which is (of course) not taking place.  There is nothing new to download.  (Maybe firmware was downloaded first, then compared with the existing firmware to see if is newer? Nah.)

Then, after a bit, the screen displays either "Download Failed" or "No new Firmware."  DUH.

(oops, did I type, "moron"?  Substitute "highly paid software engineering professional")

Message 4 of 8
Luke1965
Tutor

Hi! I also on my RBW30 when checking for updates in web page Orbi shows “update failed” (and give me also an error on App Orbi IOS Apple on IPhone)  meanwhile the other satellite (RBS20) and router RB40 has a response of no new firmware available. I tried rebooting and resetting and downgraded firmware without success! Do you manage to solve this iusse or find a fix? Best regards and ciao from Italy! Luke 

Message 5 of 8
JeriD
Star

Hi - In my case, I was able to use the app on the IPhone and it properly updated my router and didn't mention anything about my satellites and since I knew they were up to date already based on the version installed and what the Netgear site stated, I declared victory. If that didn't work for you and you've tried resetting each of the satellites, based on other posts in this thread, I would suggest manually logging into each satellite via the web browser and installing directly there the latest firmware. Then try running the download again from the Iphone app for the router and see if it updates. If not, you can manually install the firmware rather than rely on the tool (instructions are above in the thread as well). Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 8
Redheaven
Aspirant

I have downloaded the firmware update for my RBW30, but it’s a .chk file and the system wants a .img file. The manual update will not accept the downloaded file. Any ideas?

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

it can be a .chk or a .img file. The instructions go over it can be either. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

If its giving you a file error, did you make sure to extract it prior to trying to upload it? I've seen people forget to extract it

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7