Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 + (2) RBS50 - Speed Issues, at my wits end!

TNick20
Follower

RBR50 + (2) RBS50 - Speed Issues, at my wits end!

I am having issues with my Orbi system in regards to maintaining a consistent speed. Within 24-48 hours of rebooting my RBR and RBS's my download speeds will drop and remain at 70-80Mbps. I am on a 400/40 plan with my ISP (Suddenlink) and my upload speeds are uneffected. If I reboot my Orbi devices I am able to acheive ~400Mbps speeds initially.

Here is a simplified (wired) Network Diagram:

Internet -> NETGEAR CM700 -> EdgeRouter X -> NETGEAR GS105NA 5P Switch -> RBR50 (AP Mode).

(2) Additional RBS50's, wireless backhaul. Each around ~25-30ft from the RBR50.

Single story home, ~3100 sqft. Interior construction is wood/drywall.

I have tested wired connections at all points (Modem, Router, Switch) and performance is as expected.

Looking at the Orbi App I see a number of 5Ghz connections with exceptionally low link rates <100Mbps. However, initiating a speed test on my laptop (Shows 866Mbps and is located within 3 ft of RBR) I am experiencing the same 75-80Mbps download speeds.

~40 Wifi connected devices including: TV's, Fire Box/Stick, Laptops, Phones, Echo's, Thermostats, Ring Cameras/Doorbell. 10 of those are Sonos wireless speakers.

Router Firmware Version - V2.3.5.30

Wireless Settings (GENERAL)
RegionNorth America

2.4G ChannelAuto ( 7(P) + 11(S) )

2.4G ModeUp to 400 Mbps

5G Channel36+40+44(P)+48

5G ModeUp to 866.7 Mbps

I'm at a complete loss here, performance is as expected after reboot. Degrads to a CONSISTENT 75-80Mbps after 24-48 hours and does not recover until a reboot.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 + (2) RBS50 - Speed Issues, at my wits end!

What happens if you turn OFF the RBSs and test wireless speeds with Ooklas installable speedtest app and not the Orbi app?

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

What happens if you wire connect the RBR in AP mode directly to the Edge Router X? 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 + (2) RBS50 - Speed Issues, at my wits end!

Any progress on this? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@TNick20 wrote:

I am having issues with my Orbi system in regards to maintaining a consistent speed. Within 24-48 hours of rebooting my RBR and RBS's my download speeds will drop and remain at 70-80Mbps. I am on a 400/40 plan with my ISP (Suddenlink) and my upload speeds are uneffected. If I reboot my Orbi devices I am able to acheive ~400Mbps speeds initially.

Here is a simplified (wired) Network Diagram:

Internet -> NETGEAR CM700 -> EdgeRouter X -> NETGEAR GS105NA 5P Switch -> RBR50 (AP Mode).

(2) Additional RBS50's, wireless backhaul. Each around ~25-30ft from the RBR50.

Single story home, ~3100 sqft. Interior construction is wood/drywall.

I have tested wired connections at all points (Modem, Router, Switch) and performance is as expected.

Looking at the Orbi App I see a number of 5Ghz connections with exceptionally low link rates <100Mbps. However, initiating a speed test on my laptop (Shows 866Mbps and is located within 3 ft of RBR) I am experiencing the same 75-80Mbps download speeds.

~40 Wifi connected devices including: TV's, Fire Box/Stick, Laptops, Phones, Echo's, Thermostats, Ring Cameras/Doorbell. 10 of those are Sonos wireless speakers.

Router Firmware Version - V2.3.5.30

Wireless Settings (GENERAL)
RegionNorth America

2.4G ChannelAuto ( 7(P) + 11(S) )

2.4G ModeUp to 400 Mbps

5G Channel36+40+44(P)+48

5G ModeUp to 866.7 Mbps

I'm at a complete loss here, performance is as expected after reboot. Degrads to a CONSISTENT 75-80Mbps after 24-48 hours and does not recover until a reboot.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7