Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 and Google Assitant

Femur
Follower

RBR50 and Google Assitant

Hi
I have a Google Nest Hub. Using the Google Home App and a previous router, the set up proceeded fine.
First Google Home would see Nest Hub with bluetooth.
Then I would fill in some details on the hub - room etc.
Then it would ask me to connect to the Hub to the Home Network by filling in Home Network password.

Now i have swapped out the previous router for and Orbi router. 
All other devices have no problems connecting to the Router.
Connected to 'Orbi02' i go through the set up wizard on Google Home App
App sees Nest Hub with blue tooth.
I fill in the details for the Nest Hub, family room etc
I arrive at the Network picker - I've noticed two behaviours

If I have done a factory reset on the Nest Hub, I can see Orbi02 for one time.
I try to make a connection to Orbi02 - i input the password - the connection fails and I get a fail message on the app and on the nest hub.

If i try the setup wizard a second time, or (same thing) without a factory reset, then I don't see Orbi 02 in the network picker list.
I cannot connect to Orbi02 because i don't see it.

The first behaviour suggests that the Orbi02 rejects the connection from Google Nest Hub.
Then the Google Home App, remembers the fail and removes Orbi02 from list.
Is there a setting on Orbi02 that would allow the Orbi02 to accept the connection attempt from the Google Nest Hub.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 and Google Assitant

Sorry I have nothing constructive to offer.  My practice, the last four times I have replaced a WiFi router with a new one, is to give the new router exactly the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as the old one.  This serves two purposes: (1) it means that all devices simply connect to the new router as if nothing had changed, and (2) if I decide to unplug the new router and plug in the old one, everything simply connectes to it as if nothing had changed.

Do not have Google Home or Google Nest products.  Sorry.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 and Google Assitant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Femur wrote:

Hi
I have a Google Nest Hub. Using the Google Home App and a previous router, the set up proceeded fine.
First Google Home would see Nest Hub with bluetooth.
Then I would fill in some details on the hub - room etc.
Then it would ask me to connect to the Hub to the Home Network by filling in Home Network password.

Now i have swapped out the previous router for and Orbi router. 
All other devices have no problems connecting to the Router.
Connected to 'Orbi02' i go through the set up wizard on Google Home App
App sees Nest Hub with blue tooth.
I fill in the details for the Nest Hub, family room etc
I arrive at the Network picker - I've noticed two behaviours

If I have done a factory reset on the Nest Hub, I can see Orbi02 for one time.
I try to make a connection to Orbi02 - i input the password - the connection fails and I get a fail message on the app and on the nest hub.

If i try the setup wizard a second time, or (same thing) without a factory reset, then I don't see Orbi 02 in the network picker list.
I cannot connect to Orbi02 because i don't see it.

The first behaviour suggests that the Orbi02 rejects the connection from Google Nest Hub.
Then the Google Home App, remembers the fail and removes Orbi02 from list.
Is there a setting on Orbi02 that would allow the Orbi02 to accept the connection attempt from the Google Nest Hub.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7